Oldest Dive shop in Orange County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Been reading about all the dive shops in Orange County, some old - some new

What in you opinion is the oldest continually active dive shop in Orange County?

When established?

By whom?

Where? City? or Location?

(Please don't say Rene Sports (Shop))

SDM

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 02:24 AM ----------

80 views and no responses!

Just a guess Sam as I've only been in SoCal since the 60s, but I'm thinking Ron Merker's Aquatic Center in Newport Beach.

Bill
I would suggest that you chat with your buddy the Egyptian born current owner of the Aquatic Center before you make another wild guess. Anothere question for you.....What super famous person once worked there and got his basic dive training at the Aquatic Center????

Better than another board where I asked the same question and received "Westwood" as an answer

All the experts on diving who post profusely about a huge variety of subjects and only one guess. Soon the very short history of recreational diving will be delegated to I think, I hear, I suppose, or some one told me, all devoid of basic factual data.

SDM

On behalf of the younger generation of bubble blowers, I will play...but, I preface this with "I really have no idea..."

Laguna Sea Sports???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I know Ron Merker's shop Aquatic Center was one.
New England Diver, Seal Beach.
Pacific School of SCUBA, Later the chain became Laguna Sea Sports, now Beach Cities SCUBA.

ok Sam. Now you lived in Orange County back then, seems you might remember.

Well, Sam... I said it was a guess. Besides, we had our own compressor back then so who needed a dive shop! Besides, I'm a marine biologist, not a SCUBA instructor... the animals (and seaweed) are what matter to me! Tee hee. In addition, Orange County was nothing but orange groves back then.

Do we get to win anything if we guess right?

I only got here in 1997 .. .so I don't have a clue. But, I can tell you who won the Regata in Bernate in 1981 :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I went to the laguna shop in <72 , we bought my dad a dive watch for his birthday. I was < 6 too young to play. sorry.

Back
Top Bottom