Optimum bcd for kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need advice as to what type of bcd to get for my 11 year old grandson who just finished his Jr. OW, and who I am going to take on a cruise to Coz, Roatan, and Belize later this year. I know we can rent the BC for the trip, but also know that with rental gear he might wind up with a bc that is too big for him, and may be a different brand at each location. I would like him to have as much consistency/familiarity with his bc as possible so he can really work on his buoyancy without having to deal with a different bc/buoyancy characteristics at each dive location. I was hoping he could fit into my wife's Sherwood Avid BC (sm), but he is going to need a XS or XXS size for his frame. He is pretty tall for an 11 year old, almost 5', but is thin and wiry (27" chest, 23" waist, and 75#) with hips that do not easily acommodate a weight belt. So, I am looking at getting him a relatively inexpensive, weight integrated bc that he can use now and still have room for growth. If I was going to buy a new bc for myself, I would defitinely go rear inflation or bp/w, but when I discussed that option with a couple of LDSs, I was told I might want to rethink that for him because of his size and weight, the rear inflate bcs are going to tend to push him face first into the water, and that might not be a good thing for a young, very new diver doing first ocean dives. Now these are LDSs that carry all styles of bcs, a wide selection of brands, and have a lot of experience teaching kids, so I did not get the impression they were trying to sell only what they had in stock. I am currently looking at a new Aeris Biojac xs jacket bc ($223) for him, but would appreciate any comments from instructors that have worked a lot with kids as to what seems to be best for kids. Thanks in advance.

... but when I discussed that option with a couple of LDSs, I was told I might want to rethink that for him because of his size and weight, the rear inflate bcs are going to tend to push him face first into the water, and that might not be a good thing for a young, very new diver doing first ocean dives.

Utter crap due to not taking time to get weighting correct and in the correct places....

Your gut was wrong. They are saying this because they don't carry them and hence can't make a buck like they can many times over with new BC's as they grow out of them.

Honestly, a BP/W might be one of the best ideas because as the individual grows, its under $50 to completely replace the harness (more like $15). A small wing for a youth can easily be a warm water wing for an adult. Even having to purchase a bigger wing in the future (should it even be necessary) is likely half the cost of a whole new BC.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2013 at 02:28 PM ----------

Additional information: In the early years of back inflate BC production, the weight integrated ones had the only weight pockets on the front at the belly. They would face plant you, especially if you needed lots of weight. Non-ditchable back pockets, cam band weight pouches, and better designs have done much to correcting this, but the myth still lingers. Couple this with a different mentality when using a BP/w (it won't float you head high out of the water, but rather it works wonderfully if you pretend to be an otter floating on your back), it takes someone to teach it. As jackets are still likely the predominant product (change is hard), many don't know how to set them up, or instruct someone on proper use....

For a youngster, it just might be the most ideal fit obtainable.

I posted this long ago when my daughter started to dive.
I put my petite 12 y.o. daughter in a DSS small plate and torus 17. She did the certs in a jacket, and did a couple of trips to Bon in rental stuff, and it just never fit her properly.

She said it was like going from an overcoat to a bikini when we got her new stuff. She loves it.

She's now a young lady, with all the associated womanly attributes. We've adjusted the harness a bit over the years, but she's diving the same gear.

She has an interest in cave training. When she's ready she can get her(self) a new wing, appropriate some of my stuff and she's in business.

Call Tobin at DSS. He'll hook you up with some of the finest gear going at a good price, and only with what you need.

Up until recently, with the acquisition of the obligatory 15 beer-lbs in college, she's worn that same bpw with a 3 mil and 2 lbs of additional weight.

Now she needs 4 lbs. We had to fiddle the harness a bit, but didn't even need a new one (saved $15).

ETA: DSS is certainly not the only source for BPW's, just the one I used with good results.

I can't speak to the issue of whether or not they take the right amount of time to correctly weight and place the weights on students because I have not taken training from them, but I can tell you that both LDSs carry and sell jackets, back inflates, and bp/wings, so they could sell me any style bc with the potential for upgrades in the future. Also, I am old enough, and a pretty good judge of character, to know when I am being given a sales pitch vs a discussion as to what might be best at this stage of his dive experience. I do know when my wife went through her OW training three years ago, if she found herself being pushed face forward in the water (for whatever reason), or struggling to maintain an upright position in the water, I think her interest in diving would have been short lived. Now that she is more comfortable and capable in the dive environment, I think she would be fine in a bp/w at this stage of her dive experience. I also note that none of the LDSs I have dealt with use anything other than jackets for dive training when they clearly carry and sell back inflates and wings. That is my only experience in dealing with very inexperienced divers so I probably am viewing this issue from a slightly different perspective.

If you have such trust/confidence in them, then go with what they suggest....... I don't have that feeling.

If you decide to buy a jacket (sounds like where you are leaning), buy him one that fits now, and just know you'll have to do it again later. Don't do what my mother did to me every year at school clothes buying time - "You'll have room to grow into these".

In any case, enjoy diving with your son. I know I had the time of my life with my two girls (both in bpw, one a fish, the other can't stand the idea of water in her face).

Bob and all,
Thank you for the additional information. It was very helpful. My only goal is to make sure my grandson gets off to a good and fun start to diving. I will admit that I was a bit put off by the cost of the wing set up from DSS, compared to a closeout deal on a jacket bc, especially for an 11 year old kid that I don't know will turn into a serious diver, or lose interest after the initial excitement of learning to dive wears off. However, maybe I can justify the expense if I get him something I can use if he decides other things in his life are more fun/important that diving.

Another option
Plastic Traditional Style Backplate and
Seatec-Sunfish
its what I learned on at around his age. Very adjustable as he grows, and he can take off this tank without removing his buoyancy if he wants to go Snorkle or something. Add a basic webbing harness and a couple of weight pouches and you're all set. Might get some odd looks on the dive boat though.:cool2:

I haven't looked at DSS prices in a long time because i haven't bought bpw's in a long time. But one thing to keep in mind is their prices are all-in, no need to buy giblets. The only thing I added to my initial setup was a pocket on the waistbelt, then retired it because I didn't like it, or need it for what I thought I needed it for.

Also, might touch some other vendors. I think Jim Lapenta on this board sells bpw rigs (could be confused, it wouldn't be the first time), and he has gotten many kind words here (I've never personally dealt with him).

Anyways, have a great time. I sorta wish I had it to do again with my kids... then I come to my senses and think about them sitting on my couch using my TV remote on football Saturdays (sec! sec!)

DSS, HOG, Dive-Rite (and pardon me for omitting others) are all possibilities, and yes, DSS is in the upper range of cost in this bracket. You don't specifically need DSS (or H, SP, etc.). Its the platform of a BP/W that may work both in the short time (pun intended), and in the long run.

Believe me, it is all about fit. I have spent a significant amount of money on various style BC devices, none of which fit me the way they should, until I found it in a BP/W. I'm passionate about making it fit (and in the long run, it could cost significantly less to only buy once).

Look for packages, talk to Lapenta, check out Dive-Right-In-Scuba,, maybe Scuba.com, etc. There are bargains to be had.

Best of luck, and as has been said, cherish the moments with the children.

Back
Top Bottom