Buy or rent BC for 14 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, you are changing the discussion. The question was: what would you buy for a 14 year old? And I answered with what I did in fact buy my 14 year old. And it's still what I would buy for a 14 year old today -- I would save money for other equipment and dive trips, and not spend hundreds more just on the off chance he wants to do technical diving at some point in his life.

For a hobby/industry that struggles to attract new people (as discussed on many threads here) perhaps the message that a $230 BCD works just fine for recreational diving is something that should not always be met with ire that people should spend more than twice as much for modularity that most never need.
Well, following that logic, one could buy a BCD that's less than 200 dollars. I know, as I did that back in the day... The problem is, I'm not changing what I'm saying, I've been consistent.

Cheapest isn't best - there's more than one person here that knows that reselling a bp/w is far more "profitable" than reselling a bcd. You can go do a deep dive on craigslist to see how many people who were poorly trained and suckered into buying jacket bcds are looking to offload them. Then come here and see what the average purchase price of of a used BP/W is and tell all of us how you have a better solution.

I will grant you that if you assume that the diver isn't going to like diving you can save money by buying cheap, but what's the point in that?

And to put my point on the line, OP, if your son doesn't take to diving, I'll do a free class with him and I'll bet you that I can change his mind... I didn't get in this business to make money, and I don't like suckering people into bad decisions, and the BCD is always a bad decision.

Then come here and see what the average purchase price of of a used BP/W is and tell all of us how you have a better solution.

I will grant you that if you assume that the diver isn't going to like diving you can save money by buying cheap, but what's the point in that?

And to put my point on the line, OP, if your son doesn't take to diving, I'll do a free class with him and I'll bet you that I can change his mind... I didn't get in this business to make money, and I don't like suckering people into bad decisions, and the BCD is always a bad decision.
Well of course people are selling BP/W used for higher prices, because they cost more originally, as previously acknowledged.

There are tons of people who like diving who also like diving in jacket BCDs. My son, me, and several other people have admitted to such on ScubaBoard, even though the BPW mantra is formidable here.

Why pay more? Jacket BCDs dive just fine. I've never for 1 second wished I had a BPW, and I've enjoyed every dive. Jacket BCDs are the choice for the majority of recreational divers, and it's silly to act like you've got to pay more and dive a BPW to enjoy diving. Most people don't want to be technical divers.

But I believe I'm done with this thread -- goes this way on any "what BCD should I buy" thread. Suggest a reasonably priced jacket BCD that works fine for most divers, and then watch the pack swarm round and insist BPW is the one true way. If the OP has any questions for me, please feel free to send a Direct Message.

I’m debating whether to buy a BC for my 14 year old son, or whether to just rent. At 14 he is already 6’1” and 165#, so he is definitely not done growing.
@Rob9876 is your 14 yo also the size of a full grown man? His is and would benefit from the adaptability of the BP/W due to his size fluctuations for football.
Again, you are changing the discussion. The question was: what would you buy for a 14 year old? And I answered with what I did in fact buy my 14 year old.
You bought a jacket for your son that fit him for his diving types. He's used it for 100+ dives and that's fantastic. Kudos to you for keeping him involved and passing on the joy of diving.
I would save money for other equipment and dive trips, and not spend hundreds more just on the off chance he wants to do technical diving at some point in his life.
BP/W isn't tech gear. I generally stay within NDL or light deco and do single tank diving. I carry a pony. I'm not a tech guy and don't plan to move into it for awhile but I still swear by my rig. I have a jacket and back inflate hanging up in my closet as extreme backup or for a buddy to use. My wife dives the jacket when it warms up here because it works for her.

Definitely BP/W. It's more adjustable and adaptable. Plus if that is what you are using he has ready expertise.

I'd bring spare trim weight pockets, D-ring, keepers, bungee cord, etc on the first trip and get him all dialed in and trimmed out. Then on the second trip he should be dialed in already.

I used a BP/W in Reef Check California, so if the Reefs program is similar he should have no problems. I'd contact them and see what standard gear they carry (DSMB, lights, slates, tiny marker buoys, etc) to see about where he wants to stow that on the first trip.

Definitely use a simple harness not a comfort harrness. But an H harness has some advantages in ease of re-rigging to slide things on or off as you setup and initially adjust the rig, as you do not have to unthread the whole belt to add/remove from the shoulders.

+1 for the DGX backplate and wing. I bought one a few years ago and have no regrets. I'm 6'2" and anywhere between 190 - 215 lb and it works well for me at any seasonal weight fluctuations. I opted for SS backplate even though majority of my diving is tropical/travel diving. I'm not worried about the extra couple pounds over aluminum traveling and like having the majority of the weight on my back. I do like the simple harness system over the deluxe style. IMO the modular changes/replacement you can make to a BP/W are a nice benefit over a traditional BCD.

No experience with the HOG system but reviews seem positive as well.

+1 for the DGX backplate and wing. I bought one a few years ago and have no regrets. I'm 6'2" and anywhere between 190 - 215 lb and it works well for me at any seasonal weight fluctuations. I opted for SS backplate even though majority of my diving is tropical/travel diving. I'm not worried about the extra couple pounds over aluminum traveling and like having the majority of the weight on my back. I do like the simple harness system over the deluxe style. IMO the modular changes/replacement you can make to a BP/W are a nice benefit over a traditional BCD.

No experience with the HOG system but reviews seem positive as well.
Are the edges of the DGX plate beveled?

I don't believe so. I've never had an issue with them cutting or causing issues. If they had bothered me probably would have taken them to the garage for some angle grinding, but did not have the need.

As mentioned before, much of SB will promote the bp/w. I have dove both and due to medical issues dive a jacket now but with newer accessories may go back in the future. However, this really doesn't matter. I would suggest renting for now. When your son gets back from these two trips help him research what he wants for a long term solution. He will have 50+ dives under his belt and will have a better understanding of what he will or won't like. If possible rent both before buying anything. You may get him the bp/w and it will be great BC, but if he doesn't like it he won't dive as much and it defeats the purpose. So, before getting anything ensure you ask him what he wants and get his input. What works for you and feels great to you may not for him. The ultimate goal is to keep diving and diving often, so getting equipment "for" him is not ideal. Help him select his equipment and he will dive as often as possible!

As the Reefs program includes equipment, his bringing a BP/W may essentially make two rigs available to him. His own and one from the program, which is presumably a standard jacket. So he would have a chance there to compare and contrast. Assuming they keep that equipment option open for him. And on them being near their supply point and not sailing off with minimal extra gear on a tiny boat without room for an extra BC.

Trying things out is in general a good idea, but going to 60 dives before you can switch may be excessive.

All good points above, and apologies not trying to sway one way or another (ie. start a BP/W vs BC debate). 14 yrs is pretty young with a lot of life changes coming (growth, school, and much more) could definitely see a case for renting. It does seem like you have a number of cool trips planned in the near future so if that trend continues and the kiddo is committed to the sport. Seems like you could find something that would work for the long term... pause ... cough ... like a BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom