1st BCD purchase - advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My purchases have followed the same pattern as some others here. My first BC was a jacket style SeaQuest Pro QD. A couple years and a hundred dives or so later I bought a Zeagle Stiletto (back inflate), which I'm selling if you are interested. Dove it for another hundred dives or so. Now I'm just starting my journey in a backplate and wing.

PM me if you are interested in the Zeagle Stiletto. It's a Medium harness, still in really good shape. I have a Zeagle Octo-Z (air2) on the inflator hose too.

I own OMS BP & Wing. love it. Built like a tank - SS. Great for local cold water diving ..not good for travel. I say go BP&wing. Diverite. Aluminum. Never look back. Your configuration options are infinite.

Hi Token, I'm new to diving and just trying to find my way around purchasing a bcd--I was looking at the Aeris 5 Oceans--and also considering a Zeagle, but there's quite a price differential. What's your (or anyone's) opinion in the price vs functionality of the 2 brands? Also considering Mares Aliikai Women's BC, if anyone can comment on pros/cons. Thanks

Last edited:
There are as many designs and opinions on bcds as there are ice cream flavors. I started with a Sea Quest jacketed bcd. After about 75 dives I switched to a Dive Rite Transplated, a Al back plate with a harness. I quickly transferred into a simple DSS SS BP/W. For me the comfort and simplicity of the BP/W is great. As that I lost a lot of weight this past year, I will be getting a new BCD to teach in that fits me better and use my BP/W for personal diving. There is one from ScubaPro that has my eye.

I have traveled to many different countries and have found that most of my travel weight is not in my Bcd but my fins. I suggest you make a list of Bcd characteristics you want, then go to several dive shop and look for one with those parameters that fits you well. If possible ask to try one on in the pool if the LDS has one. Fit and comfort with your desired features will be more important than brand.

Good Luck in your search,

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom