Dive knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 again for the trilobites... those things are just easy to use and will work for almost all scenarios...

I still want to carry a small knife for the scenarios they may not be the best option in.

Why all the love for the Trilobite and none for line cutters which are cheaper and easier to handle with gloves?

Why all the love for the Trilobite and none for line cutters which are cheaper and easier to handle with gloves?

well, the trilobite is a line cutter (it just happens to be our favorite line cutter :))... but I find that i have no problems using it with a glove (i only wear 3mm gloves)... and I've never attempted to use a line cutter to cut webbing, but my trilo makes short work of it

I have a Aqualung SeaQuest BC and the Wenoka Squeeze blunt knife sheath fits the grommets perfectly. It's SS, so it will need to be rinsed and allowed to completely dry before putting back into its sheath. The Squeeze lock is nice, as I had a buddy that kept loosing his knife that wasn't a squeeze lock. He eventually went with the Wenoka Squeeze blunt knife and loves it. The knife is easy to handle and take out of its sheath even with 7mm gloves. Personally I just went to my LDS and put my gloves on and held all the knives until I found one that fit my hand with my gloves on and that I could easily take out of its sheath. Also, shears and/or a trilobite line cutter are nice to bring along on a dive in addition to your knife.

well, the trilobite is a line cutter (it just happens to be our favorite line cutter :))... but I find that i have no problems using it with a glove (i only wear 3mm gloves)... and I've never attempted to use a line cutter to cut webbing, but my trilo makes short work of it

I do realize that a trilobite is a line cutter. I was speaking of something more like this, which costs $6.00. I do not have this particular model but the one I have can cut webbing.

I do realize that a trilobite is a line cutter. I was speaking of something more like this, which costs $6.00. I do not have this particular model but the one I have can cut webbing.

at that price I could buy one just to try and see how it stacks up against my trilos... I was just blown away by the performance of the trilo..

We'll see..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

What are the scenarios you encountered and had to cut a wire?

Do you think the time factor is important? ie. able to cut the wire within x seconds (easy to operate)

thanks (also considering getting my first knife...)

Jphehe, I Haven't had to cut a wire, but I've had to cut fishing line and a buddy out of kelp. To me, what was important was a knife that I could take out of its shealth with 7mm gloves and fit my hand properly with gloves on. Some knives I looked at were too hard to unsheath with thick gloves, so I went with a squeeze lock and the wenoka squeeze lock knife fit my hand nicely. Plus it fit on my bc grommets perfectly.

I just replied to a thread in the knife section regarding the UK Blue Tang Tis I just got. If you're patient, you can find em new on eBay in the $50 range. Which it s great price for a Ti knife. It's got great features is very sturdy, and is very comfortable (I don't know about rivet attachments on BCD, but the straps are quite nice and with how light it is, I don't even expect to really feel it with a wetsuit underneath it). I will be testing it out in a month and will have a better idea of how much I like it, but at that price-point, I couldn't find a better value in my search

I just got a blunt UK Blue Tang Ti knife for Christmas from my sister and brother in-law, seems to be very well built. It has finger slots for better grip, will prove handy when wearing gloves. I don't have it in front of me but do not recall it having rivet attatchments on it. None the less, very nice knife and looking forward to getting it wet soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom