Question Philippines rules on knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveToad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Quick question. We are heading to Puerto Galera next week and I was just wondering about rules for carrying a pocket knife. Google isn't really clear. Not carrying and butterfly knife or machete or anything. Just my pocket knife and the one I will take has about a 3" blade.
Don't want to pay any fines or hang out in jail for what is my normal day stuff in my pocket.
Thanks.

Do you plan on doing anything that would attract the attention of law enforcement?

I lived in the PI for a bit 19 years ago, and can state with a fair degree of certainty that a small knife in your pocket is not something that would gain anyone's attention of a vacationer, nor would it provide much personal protection.

I can't fathom why you would go through the trouble to inquire about it or even carry it with you when traveling abroad.

-Z

Because there are many times I need a small knife even if it's just to clean dirt out of my fingernails. So apparently you don't know the answer to my question. Thanks for your input though.

There are lots of implements that one could use to clean dirt out of one's fingernails, and while on vacation, one could forego the need for a small knife, but if you really want to know the law on the matter, it is technically illegal to carry a knife unless you are carrying/using it in the pursuit of earning a livlihood or other lawful activity. It is unclear if just carrying it in your pocket to clean your fingernails constitutes a lawful activity under Philippine law, and since you will be a tourist you would be well advised that regardless of your financial situation you would be looked at as being wealthy and ripe for exploitation by corrupt members of the Philippine police force.

You would be best advised to leave your pocket knife at home...but do what you wish at your own pleasure or peril.

For your further reading pleasure:

btspmbns.png

BATAS PAMBANSA Blg. 6

AN ACT REDUCING THE PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF BLADED, POINTED OR BLUNT WEAPONS, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBERED NINE.

Section 1. Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows:​

"3. It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct."​
Section 2. Article twenty-two of the Revised Penal Code shall apply to persons previously convicted under paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine.

Section 3. Any law or ordinance which is inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed.|avvphil.nê+

Section 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.​

Approved: November 21, 1978

-Z

There are lots of implements that one could use to clean dirt out of one's fingernails, and while on vacation, one could forego the need for a small knife, but if you really want to know the law on the matter, it is technically illegal to carry a knife unless you are carrying/using it in the pursuit of earning a livlihood or other lawful activity. It is unclear if just carrying it in your pocket to clean your fingernails constitutes a lawful activity under Philippine law, and since you will be a tourist you would be well advised that regardless of your financial situation you would be looked at as being wealthy and ripe for exploitation by corrupt members of the Philippine police force.

You would be best advised to leave your pocket knife at home...but do what you wish at your own pleasure or peril.

For your further reading pleasure:

btspmbns.png

BATAS PAMBANSA Blg. 6

AN ACT REDUCING THE PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF BLADED, POINTED OR BLUNT WEAPONS, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBERED NINE.

Section 1. Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows:

Section 2. Article twenty-two of the Revised Penal Code shall apply to persons previously convicted under paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine.

Section 3. Any law or ordinance which is inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed.|avvphil.nê+

Section 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.​

Approved: November 21, 1978

-Z
That is what I have already read as well. Just wasn't sure if that was still in effect or had been voted in as I saw a lot of talk in different links that showed this wasn't in effect yet and others said it was.
See that is the some of the info I was looking for. Trust me, if self defense was my concern this knife wouldn't be my go to.
Besides the usual snarky portions of the answer (I expect nothing less on any dive related forums) I appreciate the parts that were actually related to my question. Peace out!

Quick question. We are heading to Puerto Galera next week and I was just wondering about rules for carrying a pocket knife. Google isn't really clear. Not carrying and butterfly knife or machete or anything. Just my pocket knife and the one I will take has about a 3" blade.
Don't want to pay any fines or hang out in jail for what is my normal day stuff in my pocket.
Thanks.
Hey DiveToad, I'm heading there from Houston next week as well. I'm booked at Laguna Villas from Feb 3-9th and may extend....anyhow DM me if ya want to link up.

Just have your knife be a dive knife and sheathed and attached to your BC as a typical dive knife and in your checked luggage.... should not be a problem. If you think you need a knife for self protection while not diving in the Philippines then just bring your "dive" knife. But bottom line is that when in Rome, you need to follow Rome rules.....or stay away from Rome.

Seriously, I don't think you will run into any issues carrying it with you. As long as you are not threatening anyone or flashing it around, no one will pay any attention to you. I would also keep it in your luggage through the metal detectors at the airport and the ferry terminals. (Really, just keep it in your luggage rather then your pocket) I keep a small knife in my backpack all the time, I also carry a dive knife when I dive. There is a big difference between a bolo knife and a small pocket knife. However, the smaller the better if you just "have" to carry one.

Now with that said, if by chance you are using it and the and a PNP officer or Barangay tanod is aware of the law and calls you out on it on it's finest detail... just plead ignorance, give it to him and tell him it is "pasalubong" (a gift) for them, from the USA. You will probably make a new friend for life.

There are metal detector in many places eg airport/bus/ferry terminal, big shopping mall etc etc.
Knife is generally no good in self defence in the country because gun is cheap and some of the robbers could well be high in Shabu(meth).
Leave that in your hotel room and carry a nail clipper.
Do not foul the law in this country because you are a tourist ie, dead meat.

Scissors are another great option, which can do many of the same things as a knife, but are less likely to draw attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom