Question Philippines rules on knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this has gone a little far a field for a simple question. I don't think it would be an issue. There were some malls and such with metal detectors that I had to go through on Bohol. So maybe leave it behind if you're doing that. Otherwise, you should be fine. I sometimes travel with a leathermen which has a decent knife. Never had an issue. Have a good trip!

Scissors are another great option, which can do many of the same things as a knife, but are less likely to draw attention.
Swiss army knife can be used as scuba multi tool.
Unfortunately I lost mine which was a gift from my late mum many many yrs ago. PITY.

You planning on checking this or taking it through security? After my 3 trips to the Philippines all I can say is whatever the official rules are, they doesn't necessarily matter. (And even if a blade is small enough, if it has other tools, security usually isn't happy about that either.) If you're questioning this and don't really need it, why ask for the possible hassle?

When I travel I try to pick what to take based on what I really need on a trip. I try not to cart along along all the stuff I do at home, because I'm not at home. It all adds up. I do carry small round tipped scissors as I find them useful for many things, but they seem less likely to be a problem.

If you put it in your checked bag, then go directly to some dive resort, probably ok. If you will spend an overnight in some city, metal detectors at the entrances to hotels, malls, etc. seem not uncommon. (I don't know how they feel about pocketknives but we've had to check dive knives at the door of the Manila Marriott were we have stayed a couple times.)

If you're questioning this and don't really need it, why ask for the possible hassle?

Gotta have a knife....because clean nails are super important.

:rolleyes:

-Z

On my last trip to Norway i was not sure if I would have any checked lugage so I left my pocket knife at home.
A ziptie I used as a pull tab got stuck in a buckle and I had to use a rock to open my backpack in the first 12 hours of not carrying a small pocket knife.

It's nice to have a tool in your pocket, not just for cleaning nails.

Is That a Tool in Your Pocket, or Are You Just Glad to See Me?​

On my last trip to Norway i was not sure if I would have any checked lugage so I left my pocket knife at home.
A ziptie I used as a pull tab got stuck in a buckle and I had to use a rock to open my backpack in the first 12 hours of not carrying a small pocket knife.

It's nice to have a tool in your pocket, not just for cleaning nails.

There are tools that fall outside the category of "knife" that would be considered more appropriate for travel purposes and can be used to both cut zipties and clean one's nails.

Just sayin'

-Z

If you really need it, just pick up one for $3 at Gaisano to cut open mangoes. Did that a few years ago, tried to bring it home and declared it and had it confiscated by customs due to the type of knife.. But regardless they are cheap to find there.

1lqsuz.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I don't carry it for self defense. Just like have a tool with me that I often need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom