Atomic Cobalt "II"??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
DRIS is advertsing a deal on their last Cobalt to "make way for the Cobalt 2"

Is there any info about this new model?

My understanding is the processor is quite a bit faster with the new Cobalt and the compass is more accurate and more user friendly. At least that's how it appeared at this past years DEMA.

Guess I'd better jump in and cross post this here as the revision is getting close to shipping and questions are being asked.

The Cobalt 2 doesn't look any different cosmetically, but it's a complete redesign internally.

Compass:
The compass on the original Cobalt was a early generation chip that was not terribly accurate, but the best available at the time. This new processor allows us to update the compass display in essentially real time video- it's quite a remarkable difference. The compass/ accelerometer gives an accuracy of 1-2°, and offers calibration by essentially just waving it around. It's also not subject to getting knocked out of calibration the way the old compass chip was. So a big improvement in the compass. It's very obvious when you see it.

Processor:
Speed in the processor is not a big deal in ordinary recreational diving, though it does feel snappier using menus. But when it comes to complex iterative deco calculations, the difference is huge. Calculations that took 8-10 seconds on the Cobalt 1 are done in a fraction of a second. That opens up other possibilities for future development. Which brings up the biggest reason for redesigned electronics- we want to be building on a platform that is stable for the long term and can accommodate many new features in the future. This new hardware platform needed to be in place, for instance, before we could put it into a wrist mount.

Display:
The Cobalt 2 display is a new TFT display, not an AMOLED. Pretty much everyone thinks it looks better, and it uses about the same power. It does allow us to have an auto-backlight option.

Interface:
It will be instantly recognizable as a Cobalt interface- there are some changes. We allow six gas mixtures, rather than three. There are some differences in how the dive log data is displayed, and more info shown. Some colors are changed.

Firmware Update:
Big changes here. One of the biggest problems we had was people needing to run an application to update firmware, and experiencing system problems. The Cobalt 2 has a built in hardware reset, and if you do this while it is connected to a PC- of any type, Mac, Windows, Linux- it will show up as a mass storage device, just like a thumb drive. No drivers or software required. Just drag the new firmware file into the Cobalt's icon, and the Cobalt will take care of updating itself. This is something else the new processor makes possible.

While it looks the same from the outside, it's a big change inside.

Ron

Not that I am aware of, at least initially. But it would be nice.

Ron

Yeah, it would be FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!! :wink:

As a tech nerd and divemaster candidate and a cobalt user since early 2011, I was simultaneously excited and a bit bummed to hear about a new cobalt. At first I heard it was just a new microprocessor and software, so I was a bit "meh", but your description makes it sound like a must have. A better compass is HUGE, the new firmware procedure is great, and just the sound of potential improvements is very exciting. If Atomic comes up with a trade-in you can definitely sign me up for two!!!

Thanks for the info, Ron!

Has anyone got their hands on the new Cobalt 2?

..there's another thread, but, yeah, some of us have one. I've done one pool dive with it, and it's exactly what I'm looking for in a comp - fast, easy to read, easy to setup, not too bulky. I've never toyed with a mark I, but just futzing with it in the dry it's a nice unit that hopefully will give me years of good service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom