Damaged gear due to airlines....any luck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know Delta specifically excludes 'sporting equipment' from being covered for damage.

This is not correct.

Checked Baggage | Delta Air Lines

Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These types of items should be carried on — and kept in sight.

As for the OP document the damage, get a quote for repair replacement, and file a claim.

Airlines bought me new skis when they damaged them....

That's cuz they like to ski ---& are not certified to dive....:)

Another reason for using a normal hard case for transporting dive gear that is checked in. I have not used a dive bag in over 17 years and I avoid any bag with zippers, it only takes a few seconds to open a zipper with a pen.

+1 on DAN for insurance

The good news is the guy who is in charge of my claim is a diver!
Aaa lists up to 3k per bag. So my claim of 1,100 should be nothing I told him what all was in it and the only damage was to my bc and bag. Told him that if it made it easier they could send the check to my dive shop!

I feel good so far, we will see!
Bag and BC were less than 60 days old so may get the aqualung carry on depending how this plays out.

I will learn more Thursday am.

I know with Aqualung's 850 traveler bag, Aqualung as a lifetime warranty on it (as long as it was purchased through a legit dealer). My shop has had several returned after the airlines tore up several bags. Aqualung replaced them under warranty, no questions asked, just pictures of the damage.

Update: The first guy who I have been working with, Dan has been great. I have been passed along to the next guy. Meaning the first one believes my claim. So now I need to submit my receipts (not even a month old at the time of incident) and photos and from what guy number two said I will then get a check cut. Photos won't do my BC justice as the hole it pretty small, so I am taking it to my dive shop and will fill it with air, and spray water on it so he can see the air leak. I asked if that would work and he said yes. The impression I got is they only need this not for justification, but for the file. I feel very optimistic and was told I could be paid within 2 weeks. I told them I will be diving Metropolis in May and would need my new gear by then to get my advanced.

You may want to raise a hairy eyebrow to your OW instructor. He need not beat the issue to death, but I would expect them to mention DAN in more than just passing.

This is perhaps one of the highlights of a low quality instructor vs a good one. In my opinion.

Idiotic statement if I ever heard one. DAN membership is one thing, and instructors should certainly mention it. DAN medical insurance is something extra, but probably still worth mentioning. DAN trip insurance or DAN equipment insurance are completely separate and have nothing to do with dive safety. I would hardly expect any instructor to mention it to OW students. Most new students don't have enough equipment to warrant insuring anyway, and the instructor would have no way of knowing if a student was planning a dive trip.

Just because DAN has many different offerings doesn't mean a scuba instructor has to mention them all. They also sell hats and shirts. Is he a crappy instructor because he didn't tell them about that?

Update - I have been moved up the food chain and sent my photos, receipts and video showing the hole with the air coming out when sprayed with water. I have an appointment to call him tomorrow 4/8/14. Lets hope this ends smooth.

Bought a new dive bag to take to Tofo, Mozambique. It was destroyed when landing in Johannesburg (one wheel completely ripped off).

Got the paperwork at the airport, handed it in at the local EgyptAir office it for reimbursement when I got home. That was 6 months ago. I'm calling them every couple of weeks. Things seem to be progressing, but sloooooowly... Still hoping for a €150 reimbursement...

Back
Top Bottom