Damaged gear due to airlines....any luck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to raise a hairy eyebrow to your OW instructor. He need not beat the issue to death, but I would expect them to mention DAN in more than just passing.

This is perhaps one of the highlights of a low quality instructor vs a good one. In my opinion.

Just plain silly.

a.) Instructors mention a hundred things that students don't retain. I had a student for a refresher last night who insisted they were never told in their OW class to "blow bubbles" when the reg was out of their mouth. I know their instructor, and I know that just ain't the case.

b.) If the instructor mentioned it ONE too many times, someone would be on here whining that the shop/instructor was trying to up sell them constantly.

After sending in the photos and video I was asked for and my receipts, I just hung up with the agent I worked with and they are paying 100% including tax! My check will be cut tomorrow and I should have it middle of next week!! I am thrilled! Buying the exact same bag and axiom i3!! Thank god!!

After sending in the photos and video I was asked for and my receipts, I just hung up with the agent I worked with and they are paying 100% including tax! My check will be cut tomorrow and I should have it middle of next week!! I am thrilled! Buying the exact same bag and axiom i3!! Thank god!!

Excellent! Glad to hear everything worked out.

Glad it was well resolved but I sure don't understand why you'd buy the same bag again.

Another reason for using a normal hard case for transporting dive gear that is checked in. I have not used a dive bag in over 17 years and I avoid any bag with zippers, it only takes a few seconds to open a zipper with a pen.

+1 on DAN for insurance
I never carry on any dive gear beyond my dive computer(s) and depending on the flights carryon allowance camera body and lenses. Otherwise its all dive gear in a normal hardshell suitcase and uw photo gear in a stormcase as special goods. Ive had one bag get delayed ONCE and that was on the way back home and invoved some unexpected flight changes and delays. I really CAN survive a whole day without some of my gear if need be and I hardly see anything beyond medication that anyone couldnt..

and yeah, my gear is insured.
Sure, its probably "money down the drain" - untill it isnt. I dont want to spend thousands or tens of thousands paying for medical assistance or many thousands for foto gear. Yeah, Ill pay its value in insurance fees over a 30-year period but for reals...

I still am planning on buying the Aqualung 1600 travel bag with my replacement money if I can not exchange it.
My dive shop owner said in 30 years plus he has never seen a cloth bag get trashed like that so I am not sure what to do.
Anyone have any ideas???

Also what can you do with an axiom i3 with a pin hole in it??? I plan on keeping the weight pouches and hose to have as spares.

I have separate travel diving gear that all fits in an Akona carry-on so the gear is with me at all times.

Also what can you do with an axiom i3 with a pin hole in it??? I plan on keeping the weight pouches and hose to have as spares.
I'd try and patch it. I read that 3M 5200 or 7200 sealant can be used to fix it.
Test it out of the water. If it can hold it's pressure it should be fine in water too. inflate it until the overpressure valve is triggered. If it hits that without loss of integrity it'll be fine.

My gear is insured. Just like every thing else I own. It is ALL covered by my normal home owners content insurance. Nothing special about scuba gear. It is covered the same as my hockey, golf and curling gear. And the pots & pans & cutlery in the kitchen. And my socks, shirts & underwear.

No need for "extra" DAN coverage if you already have Homeowners insurance for your possessions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom