Nurse Shark Attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was me that this story is about, just got home late Saturday from 7 days in Cozumel. Had 3 days of diving and on friday went to Mr. Sanchos with dive buddy and wifes. Around 1 pm standing in water 10 feet from shore felt a strong bump just above waist, looked down and saw a 6" fish and then a narrow dark shark and he instantly bit me again but this time better. I pushed him away told my buddy who was close because we were talking in the water and started to get to shore. It swam away, my guess is it was after small fish and chased it into me. Also had a silver dive watch on left hand in water. He also saw shark and it looked more like a Bull shark. I was bleeding fairly well not in pain. They took me to front and called ambulance, some other people there were American paramedics and they helped untill ambulance arrived.I was released today around 10 to make my flight, required stitches. Doctor said looking at wound very sure it was a shark. Mr Sanchos came to clinic refunded my money and had wife sign papers. Mayor had a rep show also and expressed concern. Clinic did a awesome job helping me. All the people that got involved and took pictures confused me. $4300.00 dollars later I left. We dive Cozumel twice a year, I have seen many nurse sharks on dives in area and pretty sure this was not. Happened really fast.

Thanks for providing that information. It is nice to hear from the person involved rather than someone who knew someone who said they saw something!

Hope all goes well and all goes well. I also hope it doesn't put you off enjoying the water:flowers:

i can confirm this story. I watched the second and third strike on my friend. The shark was about three feet long and was very quick, whipped it's tail around and hit him fast.
As for not taking video or pictures...please. We weren't on a dive. We weren't snorkeling. We were relaxing and drinking in about four feet of water after a great week of diving. We both have GoPro's, but who would have expected to need a camera while eating and drinking at Mr Sancho's?
Looked like a small bull shark, but I can also see how it could have been a dark nurse shark.

Roofer, thanks for the info & glad you're OK......I was wrong about the stitches thingy....Take care....

Why did you go to a private clinic vs a hospital? Is that just how it's done in Mexico?

This is why I never trust water less than ten feet deep

Back
Top Bottom