"Secrets of Fundamentals" - A great article about GUE -Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course it is practise, practise practise and dive with dir minded people. But others advice not to do before you do a fundies class. Because you will build up wrong muscle memory.
I have decided to dive with dir/gue/ise/utd people, but not to take any dir-courses (you can be a good dir practioner without doing courses, but of course with a lot of practise, practise, practise and know there is always something to improve), but I like to read what 'Garf' has written. I recognise it too.

I should mention that our team in my Fundies class made diver #2 look like a underwater god of some sort . . .

2. Put "passing" out of your mind.

Definitely this. It is a class even if not passing, you will learn enough to feel satisified

---------- Post added December 4th, 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

I had an interesting first dive in my class. Our first pool session was about swimming test and finning without scuba gear or dry suit. It was easy. I gained confident on that day. On the first dive in the pool, I thought I will pass the class with flying color. I went in like Diver#1. But man, reality hit when I leave the surface. At the bottom of the pool (8ft), nothing worked. I couldn't hold depth, couldn't back kick, couldn't maintain position, couldn't do one thing right. My confident plummeted immediately. For the rest of 4 days, I was Diver#2, and I thought I have no chance of passing.

Interesting article I will have to keep it in mind next time I am aimlessly flailing around underwater.

I always tell people my worst ever ascent was done on fundies. Comical would not even come close. But that's the great thing about Fundies, it shows you just where your skills are really lacking.

BTW - I came across some video the other day of myself and the wife practicing mid-fundies. It was hilarious to watch us trying to maintain trim and back-kick. Arms going everywhere, in and out of trim, unintended rolling. I can't believe I was ever really that unstable underwater, but accept that I certainly was because you can't deny video.

The video doesn't lie . . . all you can hope is that the videographer gets so distracted, in the middle of your most pathetic performance, that she starts filming a cool underwater animal and forgets all about you. (Happened!)

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom