Question about safety and security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys!

I'm going to be making my first trip to Coz since 1991. Back then, I felt that Coz was one of the safest places around (as tourist places goes). Recently, I was on a couple of tourist boards and they are saying to watch out for the little kids selling stuff and don't carry any cash around.

Is being pickpocketed a big problem on Coz? Also, is it safer to carry a small amount of cash to Coz and use credit cards versus using the hotel safe to store cash and passport? Are the atms safe to use?

My understanding is that all the drinking water on Coz is from a desalination plant and safe to drink, is that a correct assumption?

How about walking around at night in the tourist areas downtown, is there a problem of personal safety?

As I said, 20 years ago, I wouldn't have worried about any of these questions, with the exception of the water :=)

Thanks!

Take the same precautions you would anywhere else. It's never a good idea to carry large amounts of cash anywhere on the planet. But you're probably just as likely to get pickpocketed in your local airport as in Cozumel.

Some ATMs are safe to use, i.e. the ones in banks and at the Mega store. The rest, well...

Don't drink the tap water. That piece of advice about Mexico never seems to change.

Follow the same rules you do at home. Don't make yourself a target. Don't leave stuff visible in a car if you rent one, the same things I do at home. There are 80,000 people on the island, there is going to be some crime.

Don't drink the tap water.

I consider Cozumel a very safe destination, much safer than most US cities.

Depending on where you stay, a room safe is a great place to store extra cash, passport, visa (the stub they give you at the airport, which I you need for departure!), jewelry (most best left at home), etc. I still like to carry sufficient cash when out & about, avoiding the use of credit cards; better prices and avoid the fees. I am leery of hotel office safes. Technically you are supposed to carry your passport & visa wherever you go, but that never seems to be enforced on the island; I would on mainland.

Much of the water does come from a plant, but it goes thru the old system and may also be mixed with untreated shallow well water. I wouldn't drink it, brush my teeth with it, etc. Hotels usually offer 5 gallon jug dispensers and pitchers so you can take free bottled water to you room.

Walking around tourist areas at night is generally safe, but then I am not one to stay out late. If you look for trouble in certain activities & interests tho, it can be found.

Some ATMs are not safe at all. Those at banks seem to be safe, and the Mega ATMs are usually safe.

Last edited:
We were in Coz last month, and go there every year. Don't use a credit card most places (probably OK in one of the major stores) -- it's just too risky. And if you do plan on using credit cards, be sure to notify the company that you are going to Mexico. All the places we have stayed have an in-room safe. Use it. Don't just stick your wallet in a back pocket where it is obvious.

Don't drink the water.

Cozumel is rather safe, especially compared to other places I have been, but at night stay in familiar areas and walk in a group.

We were in Coz last month, and go there every year. Don't use a credit card most places (probably OK in one of the major stores) -- it's just too risky.
I don't get that statement at all. Credit cards have no liability. If there's a fraudulent charge, you notify them and you don't pay it. What's risky about that?

At this time of year it's common to run into children offering to sing Christmas Carols or maybe selling small things to raise money for the big Christmas Party. I've never run into them at any other time of year.

I rarely have any concerns of safety in the downtown area of Cozumel and I often stay out till 11PM, when the sidewalks roll up. I usually travel solo and walk all over the place including inland away from the core downtown area and have seen no problems or have felt concerned. I would not do that in most of the larger cities I have been to in the USA and defiantly not in the central or northern Mexico cities.

The island’s economy is based upon tourism and the local populations seem to self-police. Now during the day if you are near groups people with balloons on their heads, some vendors may mistakenly assume you are part of the balloon people culture and attempt to take advantage of you: “it’s not personnel it’s just business”.

As for the water: as previously mentioned the water from the water works is supposed to be good but the distribution infrastructure is not worth the risk. Purified or filtered water is cheap and readily available and everyone I know uses it for drinking. I will use tap water to rinse vegetables but I brush my teeth with bottled water. The self-serve refill stations around town charge $10 MEX to fill a 20L (five gal) bottle.

Last month while in Cozumel my wife called and told me to get a hold of my credit card company ASAP, my account was hacked. It looks like it occurred at the airport prior to leaving the US and they hit my card for $4600. All charges were voided and removed from my account immediately, once I contacted them and disputed the charges.

I don't get that statement at all. Credit cards have no liability. If there's a fraudulent charge, you notify them and you don't pay it. What's risky about that?

I agree Mossman, I use my CC in Cozumel twice a year and have never had a problem. Besides if the exchange rate is say 12.75:1 with cash you get 10:1 maybe 12:1 but with your card you get 12.75:1. I have had no trouble in Cozumel but I don't act stupid (drunk) don't stay out late at night and take my Mexican wife with me.

I agree Mossman, I use my CC in Cozumel twice a year and have never had a problem. Besides if the exchange rate is say 12.75:1 with cash you get 10:1 maybe 12:1 but with your card you get 12.75:1. I have had no trouble in Cozumel but I don't act stupid (drunk) don't stay out late at night and take my Mexican wife with me.
Wells Fargo is giving a little better than 13.2:1. WSJournal is quoting 14.358, but those are not retail rates I don't think. The downside to using credit cards is mostly the exchange fee, about 3% I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom