Best place to buy Tequila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, making first trip in about 8 years and was wondering if I should buy at duty free in DFW or wait to get to coz. I'm staying with Blue Angel and I recall a big supermarket on the right side when walking into town . I recall it being pretty good. Does anyone know if they sell liquor? Should I just buy at the duty free? Thanks.

Unless you intend to stop in Guadalajara or the central highlands, you are far more likely to find good tequila in NYC than you are in a tourist trap like Cozumel or the duty free.

I am a rum drinker. I get better quality rum at the liquor store at Publix than I can in St. Croix or Puerto Rico. Unless I go to the distillery. Distillery rum is awesome, but you have to know someone. The garbage in the tasting room is the same swill they sell at the duty free.

I would wait and buy in Cozumel. Both the big grocery stores on Melgar sell tequila and there is an excellent liquor store next to one of them that has a good selection of assorted liquor store and specialty Italian foods.

I don't know how relevant to Cozumel this comment will be, but I just returned from Puerto Vallarta and have to say the selection of tequilas at the Soriana and other stores was amazing! I wish I knew brands and varieties better. For the couple of offerings that I could make US price comparisons to, I'd say the savings was there in Mexico, but not much overall, perhaps 10%. Patron seemed more expensive there actually. The duty free shop at the airport on the way out had a number of 3-for-2 offers and I got 3 bottles of Milagro Resposada for $16 each, which is probably $3-$4 cheaper than I've ever seen it at Safeway, and no tax. Also the one place it was slightly cheaper to use $$ rather than pesos.

I haven't had much success carrying liquor in my checked baggage, perhaps made worse because I use a duffel rather than a hard suitcase. TSA seems to zero in on liquor bottles and no matter how much I've wrapped and positioned the bottles so they are protected, TSA simply unwraps them and leaves them right under the zipper flap. The last two trips, bottles have broken due to such careless repacking by TSA. If I try again, I'll find a styrofoam bottle carrier so that maybe I can count on at least that element remaining in place. That's another argument for duty free I suppose.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick responses, I should have been more clear. Don't need premium spirits here, just making Margaritas, just want a good silver. If the local prices for decent stuff are on par with duty free at DFW I'll buy in Coz. I was just asking in case the prices were way higher because DFW duty free is easy as well. Hi Gordon, not sure if you remember me but we dived on the same BA boat many years back. I recall meeting everyone you were traveling with and having a beer with all of you (thanks) outside you room (ground floor). Hell I even remember that it was a dark beer? I do forget the name, it was mexican I'm pretty sure. Hope you're well, good to hear from you.

Hi Gordon, not sure if you remember me but we dived on the same BA boat many years back. I recall meeting everyone you were traveling with and having a beer with all of you (thanks) outside you room (ground floor). Hell I even remember that it was a dark beer? I do forget the name, it was mexican I'm pretty sure. Hope you're well, good to hear from you.
I don't remember you specifically from that detail, since it has happened many times over the years. The beer, however, would almost certainly have been Leon Negra.

But yes, thank you, I am well and beginning to think about our annual April/May trip to Cozumel. Maybe we will cross paths again.

you are far more likely to find good tequila in NYC than you are in a tourist trap like Cozumel or the duty free.

Eh, Chedraui, Mega, and La Europea have pretty good selections of tequila. La Europea, in particular, has some very good tequilas that aren't typically found outside of Mexico as well as a good selection of mezcals.

For a nice bottle of mixing tequila (say, El Jimador or some such) at a good price, Chedraui will work just fine.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll check the duty free in DFW and if nothing worthwhile there I'll walk to chedraui from BA when I get there. Yes Gordon, it was Leon Negra. Indeed, it would be great if we crossed paths again. Actually, May is the time I usually prefer to go as there is no risk of getting blown out as there is in the winter. Well, it's been 8 years and I can't tell you how thrilled I am about going back to Coz. And a close second being eating at El Morro and El Pique again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom