Buy E-M5 or wait for E-M5II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But for the E-M1, Can I install the vacuum valve by myself or I also have to pay 220$ extra for installation?
when I asked about the E-M5 I was told that I have to pay 220$ for the valve + 220$ for install by Nauticam. means that if you want to add a vacuum valve later you have to send your housing to Nauticam dealer.

Like Phil said, you can install the vacuum valve yourself with the E-M1 housing. With the older E-M5 housing, the vacuum electronics are not included and Nauticam installs them.

The E-M1 housing is quite nice, the great handles and the better shutter make it worth it imho.

Scott Gietler

when you order the NA-EM-1 just ask your shop to install it for you and test it. Thats what I did.... heck thats what their customer service is there for and its free.

Thanks
I'm going to order the NA-EM1 with the vacuum.
thanks you all for your advice

My understanding from the above discussion,

No compelling reason for the underwater photographer to upgrade from the EM-D5 to the new version, Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, is this correct?

A question I have on the topic:

If one is trying to decide between buying a Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II or the EM1 (price isn't a factor), which would be a better camera in terms of features for the underwater photographer (assuming that Nauticam will come out with a housing for the EM5 MarkII)? In other words, does the EM5 II have more/better features (relevant to the U/W photographer) than the EM1 or is it the other way around?

If one is trying to decide between buying a Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II or the EM1 (price isn't a factor), which would be a better camera in terms of features for the underwater photographer (assuming that Nauticam will come out with a housing for the EM5 MarkII)? In other words, does the EM5 II have more/better features (relevant to the U/W photographer) than the EM1 or is it the other way around?
My understanding of the difference between the E-M5 MkI, E-M5 MkII and the E-M1 is that they ought to be pretty equal in terms of underwater performance. The E-M5 MKII doesn't bring much extra, since the 40MPx feature doesn't seem particularly relevant for UW use. The E-M1 may have a slight advantage in the high-ISO noise department, but the major difference to the E-M5 is the AF system (PD vs CD). now, one can argue how important that is in an underwater setting, because PD vs CD is most important for C-AF and moving subjects. I don't have high-speed action underwater.

What could be more important (IMHO), is the UW housing system. While my NA-EM5 housing is great, I'm not totally thrilled with the handling and controls if I use two strobes on a double handle tray. The NA-EM5 housing has great ergonomics with a single strobe on a single handle tray. The hand strap works great, allowing the rig to "hang" from my right hand. With a double handle tray, I have to remove the hand strap and still hold on to the housing instead of holding the right hand tray handle. AFAIK, the NA-EM1 housing is designed for a double handle tray.

I have very extensively used both the E-M5 and E-M1 bodies in the respective Nauticam housings and I can assure all that the E-M1 system is head and shoulders above E-M5 in every respect including value. The E-M1 housing ships with two grips, no tray is required this accounts for half of the cost difference between the E-M5 and E-M1 housings apples to apples. The included vacuum electronics makeup the other half of the cost difference. Add to that the fact that the E-M1 had dropped in cost as all over one year old cameras do and you will find little to no cost difference between the E-M1 system and the new E-M5 MKII system.

As others have pointed out the MKII has large improvements in video but if you are buying M43 for video Panasonic GH4 is just better with 4K and other features.

If you are considering for the 40MP feature for topside landscape or studio work can't argue that this is an interesting new feature but it will never work underwater because it takes over a second for the image to be taken. Even going forward when they get the eight exposure time down in the 1/60th range it will still only have limited relevance for U/w use.

These two threads should be combined as they are much the same information.

Just to add to the thread...

the E-M5II video is actually worse than the E-M1, which is surprising given the higher bitrates and ALL-I settings...

Was actually looking forward to the E-M5II and seeing if Olympus could compete with the GH3/GH4 (1080) alas it appears not. The IBIS for video would be of been good.

Still think Olympus are a cut above for stills thou!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom