Marking Jumps and T's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could put 1 cookie on the main line marking the navigational exit, and the personal cookies on the temporary line by the spool...

You could put 1 cookie on the main line marking the navigational exit, and the personal cookies on the temporary line by the spool...

That is an excellent idea....

That is an excellent idea....

In the event of a separation, it would also eliminate having to swim to the END of the jump to see if your buddy is still in the cave or if it's safe to go ahead and pull the jump.

If the cookie is still there, don't pull the spool/reel. You could probably even expand this and do it on the primary.

In the event of a separation, it would also eliminate having to swim to the END of the jump to see if your buddy is still in the cave or if it's safe to go ahead and pull the jump.

I would probably leave the spool regardless of where the cookies are, getting back together with my teammate (IMHO) is more important than the spool, and there is some time savings by leaving the spool.

If you're separated just leave it. Can't count on someone picking up a cookie to indicate they're out or not. Line markers can get kicked off the line (especially clothespins).

Jim wrote (in response to my question):
If in the case where the initial tie off is not within sight of the reel the divers simply stay on the temporarily installed jump line within sight of the person pulling the reel, once in sight of the line and person running the reel go to the exit side.

Why isn't that just the rule then -- "Divers stay on the temporarily installed jump line within sight of the person pulling the reel and once in sight of the line, go to the exit side. The diver with the reel does not remove the tie in until confirming the other divers are on the exit side of the tie in."

Isn't that what everybody teaches?

Jim wrote (in response to my question):

Why isn't that just the rule then -- "Divers stay on the temporarily installed jump line within sight of the person pulling the reel and once in sight of the line, go to the exit side. The diver with the reel does not remove the tie in until confirming the other divers are on the exit side of the tie in."

Isn't that what everybody teaches?

I have no idea what everybody teaches.

These are not rules, these are suggested procedures.

Most jump lines jumped to are within sight of the line jumped from....I can think of very few exceptions.

It's not uncommon in Mexico. I can think of at least 3 offhand.

I was taught in both C2 and Full Cave, that you verify that the team is on the exit side of the line before you pull the line. There are places where having the team wait ON the jump line until the person with the spool is visible wouldn't work very well, because the spooler is coming through a hole and there isn't much room to stack up all 3 short of the mainline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom