Newbie wants a dive trip suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimi_Hendrix

Registered
Reaction score
hi , I am a newbie from Canada , planing have a dive trip with my buddy at beginning of September ,ours target is central American, could you guys give me some suggestion where is good to go for shore/boat dive , better with a good deal .

Look at Costa Rica, Playa del coco area. September time is good for Bat islands diving with the bull sharks, mantas and the local dive site conditions are around 60ft+ viz with lots of life including sharks, rays and more!

Roatan is also good, Went to CoCo View resort as my first dive trip.

That's prime hurricane season, I'm just sayin'. Roatan gets my vote too, especially as beginning divers. In Belize at least half or more of businesses close for the month of September.

Hawaii has good, and easy diving. If you are anything like I was as a newbie, you'll want that. The boat crew will take care of your kit for you.

I don't know anything about the diving conditions in the other places mentioned. You'll want to check them out, make sure there are no currents or depths you can't handle.

- Bill

Factoring in shore diving there's only about 3-4 options on Roatan. Here's the list, of the first 9 only Sandy Bay is not affiliated with a resort. And it's very difficult to even find someone to rent tanks to take off-site anywhere on Roatan. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

Looking for a good deal besides Cocoview look at Reef House Resort or Fantasy Island Beach Resort. Read some of the reviews of FIBR first though before you jump on their current deal. Almost all the shore diving on Roatan is off-shore from one of them and non-guests aren't allowed at Cocoview - I don't know about the others. Cocoview has the best, most easily accessed shore dive, most of it is also available from FIBR which sits across a channel. Cocoview might be all booked up also - it's pretty popular.

More upscale is Media Luna or Anthony's Key but AKR has a really average shallow shore dive. It's off the Key so I'm reasonably sure you have to be a guest. If it's of interest they may still be offering the BOGO so check into that. Roatan has good flights from SE US hubs. Most of the above named resorts have shuttles so you won't need - or really want - a car due to liability. Most of the nightlife is in the West End - only AKR is reasonably close.

Another option is Utila but there's no shore diving there except off the three AI resorts (Utopia Vilage, Deep Blue, Laguna Beach) - isolated from town and only accessed via boat - or there's one option a short walk/ride from town at Coral View Beach Resort. Read the recent posts on Deep Blue, although we enjoyed our time there a few years ago, they seem to be having financial problems now. They do have an AI rate of $950/wk. in September though. Really decent shore dive, you go off the beach thru the reef and dive the ocean side of 2-3 dive sites in the area. In September there's often a better chance to see Whale Sharks than some of the other months. Snorkel only and all via boat generally.

In some fashion (ferries or small plane) it will cost you about $100-200 to get to Utila. Local daytime grass strip airport so most people fly into Roatan or San Pedro Sula on the mainland first. You need to arrive at either location mid-afternoon to make the hop over. Alice at Worldwide Travel has a Facebook page with options. https://www.facebook.com/wwtutila

Also review posts in the Central America, Belize and Bay Islands forums starting here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom