Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in Hawaii, what are you going to see at 200m? What is the purpose of going to those depths?

Lots of sand and some really cool ledges. And really, if you don't really enjoy the process of diving that deep, there's no point, no matter what's down there. Bottom time is minutes, while ascent time is hours and hours.

Diving with a goal, to see the Friendship at 200ft. Roger that. I copy all. When I hear them say I want to go get a tec specialy just so I can go to 200ft I have to question their reasoning. THAT is more of what I was referring to.

Is wanting to see a 65' piece of rusty hull really any better a reason to go to 190' than just wanting to do a dive to 190'? In either case, the important thing is doing it 'right' I think. Sermon ended :)

Assuming he didn't have a heart attack or stroke out on his way down no? I hadn't wanted to make any assumptions about how deep he got or how long it took to get there before he expired. Guess we'll find out if the video surfaces or the data gets released.

Certainly if he's actually breathing at depth for any length of time it would be substantial. But if he just had a heart attack at 45m on his way down and kept dropping like a rock, in theory he wouldn't get bent.

We know he was alive past 200', because that's where his last support diver was on the way down.

Thankfully I have never perceived any compression pains, and make pretty rapid descents on Scuba and surface supplied. My perception has been, perhaps incorrectly, that compression arthralgia isn't much of a problem until around 400-450'. Anybody here experienced it? Come to think of it, I don't recall freedivers reporting compressions pains, but they are pretty narc'd and deep in their "Zen" mode really deep.

I did not even know this phenomena existed until you mentioned it.
I never experienced it - I have multiple 450's and plus without this.
Never had HPNS either and hope I never will.

When diving deep, it is essential to optimize WOB - so the choice of rebreather and obviously adding more Helium than just managing END to lessen gas density. My worries are CO2 retention. I am very observant about work loads and breathing rate. You have to slow down and even stop way BEFORE you get short of breath or else.

The fact that the family/lawyers want the equipment back is making me believe they made mistakes after experts provided inputs into this tragic event. Typically all equipment in a fatality becomes part of the investigation.

I am a skeptic by nature, and upon reading about the equipment grab/request, I too figured that someone wanted more than to preserve the GoPro for future glorification of the event via a TV special.

When word of this record attempt was first announced, I asked for an explanation about the methods being employed for gas blending. The response from his team, did nothing to allay concerns. There are other potential problems expressed in my blog and there is a link to it in a posting from FreeWillow above. Something I did not cover in that blog article is decompression. It would be interesting to see what was planned for the ascent from depth.

I am a skeptic by nature, and upon reading about the equipment grab/request, I too figured that someone wanted more than to preserve the GoPro for future glorification of the event via a TV special.

When word of this record attempt was first announced, I asked for an explanation about the methods being employed for gas blending. The response from his team, did nothing to allay concerns. There are other potential problems expressed in my blog and there is a link to it in a posting from FreeWillow above. Something I did not cover in that blog article is decompression. It would be interesting to see what was planned for the ascent from depth.
Great blog post, Steve. I love the line: "No amount of practice, special diets, exercise, yoga, or magic chanting will reliably change basic human physiology. Thinking that you can ignore this fact is like venturing into outer-space dressed in a Star Wars Halloween costume from Walmart and expecting a good outcome."

Akimbo or others, how did Ahmed Gabr deal with HPNS , Joint Compression and other risk factors when he did his bounce dive to 1,000 FSW a few months back? Isn't that what DrDeep was trying to replicate? From reports back then, Gabr's accomplishment was herald by Guinness and training agencies. Just trying to understand how did Gabr succeed from a technical standpoint. Thanks.

Sheer dumb luck. I bet you won't see him trying to replicate his success either.

While Ahmed may or may not attempt to break his own record. The same team in Dahab are attempting to break the female depth record in September 2016

Calendar - Diver Jenny Lord

I read somewhere that he planned to ascend to 350 "as quickly as possible" without any stops. My thinking is, this explains his shockingly poor gas management plan. I can only assume that he believed he would only be below 350 for the barest minimum of time.

While Ahmed may or may not attempt to break his own record. The same team in Dahab are attempting to break the female depth record in September 2016

Calendar - Diver Jenny Lord

Here is what Jenny Lord says about it:

Deep Diving - Jenny Lord

The Attraction to the Deep Blue

For thousands of years man has looked at the sea and wondered what was below the waves. With the invention of the aqua-lung, people started to explore the undersea world and like any new place many wanted to expand beyond what was known, pushing the limits of the human body to discover more.

The concept of deep diving was born. The improvement of the equipment and our knowledge has allowed people to dive deeper, but still many look down and wonder what there is even further below us.

Back
Top Bottom