Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread temporarily closed for moderation.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread is no reopened. I have deleted a lot of off-topic posts and/or personal attacks. FYI, I took the position that discussing the intent/merits of DevonDiver's blog post (located on another forum) was off-topic. I left posts that referenced some of his theories (i.e. "group think") and then further discussed them here. Please carefully consider the special rules of this forum and, before posting, ask yourself i your post is pertinent to this accident and will help prevent its recurrence. If you think someone is not following the forum rules, don't attack them here: report it. And thank you to the many, many members who did just that. Marg

Last edited:
Here is what Jenny Lord says about it:

Deep Diving - Jenny Lord

The Attraction to the Deep Blue

For thousands of years man has looked at the sea and wondered what was below the waves. With the invention of the aqua-lung, people started to explore the undersea world and like any new place many wanted to expand beyond what was known, pushing the limits of the human body to discover more.

The concept of deep diving was born. The improvement of the equipment and our knowledge has allowed people to dive deeper, but still many look down and wonder what there is even further below us.

What nonsense. This sums up the reality.

Great blog post, Steve (Doppler). I love the line: "No amount of practice, special diets, exercise, yoga, or magic chanting will reliably change basic human physiology. Thinking that you can ignore this fact is like venturing into outer-space dressed in a Star Wars Halloween costume from Walmart and expecting a good outcome."

"Go for it". I mean what could go wrong? Where is the well, what is your plan? If you go for a world record deep dive your name will be in one of two places the Guiness Book of World Records or the obituaries.
I am all for going where no one has gone before but there is clearly a limit to the human body. At some point absent of new technology a machine is better suited for exploration than the human body.

[QUOTE 7481350]Jenny Lord will attempt to beat the Guinness World Record for the Deepest Sea Dive for a Woman. The world record is currently standing at 221m.
For this event, Jenny will have an all female support team. Let us show the world what women can do!
Stay tuned for more details!
.[/QUOTE]

http://i.imgur.com/8x8dW0e.png

Now dont get me wrong, im all for females in any hobby or sport, not just diving. But it seems to me, limiting the pool of possible trainers and support on any criteria other than skill and experience, including Gabr himself, all of which is simply based on an appendage seems to only make the entire task MORE risky and less admirable.

A familiar recipe...

[h=4]Jenny Lord Diving Milestones[/h]
  • August 2008 – Jenny Lord learned to dive in Salcombe, England
  • June 2010 – She became a PADI professional diver
  • September 2011 – She became a TDI technical diver
  • September 2011- Jenny dived the famous Arch at the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt
  • 18 September 2014 – Jenny Lord is the deepest female support for Ahmed Gabr’s world record dive to 332.35m
  • February 2015 – She became a TDI technical instructor
  • April 2015 – Jenny dive to 130m at the Blue Hole
  • May 2015 – Dive to 150m at the Blue Hole

I think the following article about the last dive of former world record holder and diving legend Sheck Exley might be interesting for many readers, especially in light of the comment above.

Now maybe posts about Sheck Exley might need to be moved to another thread, and this likely isn't going to be popular, but way back when, I was very interested to learn more about Sheck Exley, his last dive, and his experiences leading up to it, and I did a bunch of reading and a little asking. While I found information similar to the article you quoted, I found very compelling information that while Exley undoubtedly suffered at least one HPNS hit, that's apparently not what killed him. All of Exley's tanks were emptied except one that had some gas inappropriate for the depth, and all of the regs had been deployed. In other words, Exley was able to deploy each of the regs and use each of the tanks, not only his bottom gas but also almost all of his travel and deco gas, all too rich in oxygen for his depth, and possibly causing oxygen toxicity. He was almost out of all gases to breathe at the point he succumbed at depth, whatever actually took his life minutes before the last tank ran out.

Apparently he had similar experiences to Bowden in the vastly increased gas consumption at that depth. They were of course, pioneers, and a lot of what is known and practiced now builds on what they and others laid the groundwork for.

When I look at some of what Gilliam wrote, it doesn't discount what others say actually happened:

Article:
One of his tanks still had gas and his computer read 904 feet, suggesting that whatever trouble he had did not occur until about nine minutes into the dive.

The best educated guess would point to an HPNS incident. Exley had experienced a bad one in Africa that resulted in uncontrollable muscular spasms and multiple vision. This may have manifested again with more violent tremors that could have triggered an oxygen convulsion or simply made it impossible to negotiate gas switches as necessary. His death will remain a mystery and a tragic loss to the cave community.

What would keep his reg sealed in his mouth? :shocked2:

I have fallen asleep while doing deco; reg stayed in no problem.

A familiar recipe...

Jenny Lord Diving Milestones

• August 2008 – Jenny Lord learned to dive in Salcombe, England
  • June 2010 – She became a PADI professional diver
  • September 2011 – She became a TDI technical diver
  • September 2011- Jenny dived the famous Arch at the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt
  • 18 September 2014 – Jenny Lord is the deepest female support for Ahmed Gabr’s world record dive to 332.35m
  • February 2015 – She became a TDI technical instructor
  • April 2015 – Jenny dive to 130m at the Blue Hole
  • May 2015 – Dive to 150m at the Blue Hole

So she wants to break the record now? Apparently, these days you are a "world class technical diver" (that's what is says on her facebook) after only a few year of diving. World class, 4 years after her first tec dive? Give me a break.

How is this not just risking your life for attention? Is there even any money to be made?

Those Guinness book idiots should stop to publish these kind of records, they already stopped recognizing the deep-air records and IMHO these Trimix records are just as dumb and pointless. What's the skill in that anyways? And how is this any better than planing an ultra-deep air dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom