Advice on a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rowkzz

Registered
Reaction score
I recently got certified as an advanced open water diver, and I finally decided to invest my money on a dive computer. I am thinking of buying Suunto DX because I would like to get certified in rebreather. I have a few questions about it.

1. How accurate is the air integration?
2. Is there a nitrox mode? Since all the modes are Ccr, Air, Mixed Gas, Gauge And Off. I would assume mixed gas is considered Nitrox?
3. There is a lot of review saying that the watch is conservative, how conservative is it?

Thanks for your advice

Short answers:

It's accurate but get I'd recommend a simple analogue SPG as back up as electronics fail.
Yes, it's nitrox capable.
Yes, Suuntos are considered conservative but I've never really noticed. Multiple dives over multiple days you may notice but guaranteed others will likely be diving Suuntos too.

There are better computers out there for your intended purpose. I'm not familiar with re breathers but would think a Suunto is unlikely to be recommended by anyone diving a rebreather.

Petrel.

I don't know of any rebreathers which use Suunto's electronics or deco algorithms, so it's not going to be all that much use to back up whichever RB you end up with. You could buy two Petrels for the same price and have a much better chance of matching software down the road.

Agree that Petrel is the way to go. Fully Trimix compatable and can integrate with most rebreather's if you go that route. You won't find better customer service anywhere!

Modern rebreathers often have the dive computer integrated into the system management electronics due to the need to know the composition of the gas you are actually breathing. Unless you purse a very unusual path you are probably a year+ from actually diving a rebreather, during which technology will progress. So I'd recommend against dropping the $1500 on the DX. Buy an SPG and a couple hundred dollar nitrox capable computer and use the difference to go on a dive trip.

I would recommend not buying a computer with the idea of going to a rebreather at this point, simply because you don't know what kind of rebreather you might get. However, the recommendation of a Petrel is an excellent idea. You can use it as a recreational computer to start, then move up to tech diving with the same computer.

While the idea of buying a Petrel EXT is a good idea if you know you'll be buying a rebreather with a Fischer connector, not all rebreathers use them. This would mean your Petrel would be useless except as a backup computer. I would say go for the standalone version of the Petrel and plan on using it as a backup computer when you get into rebreather diving.

The petrel ext or even a predator with connection for ccr would be a great computer now, and then if it works for your rb, great! If it doesn't, then it's a great backup. So, compared to other options, you are certain to have a fantastic computer for OC and backup during CCR, but this option also includes the likelihood that you WILL already have an awesome computer for your RB. No-brainer.

Take one step at a time.
Most if not all modern computers are Nitrox compatible. Buy a cheap one WITH gauge mode. Most on-line retailers have discontinued models at rock bottom price.
When you are ready for CCR then you can look at the market again.

Take one step at a time.
Most if not all modern computers are Nitrox compatible. Buy a cheap one WITH gauge mode. Most on-line retailers have discontinued models at rock bottom price.
When you are ready for CCR then you can look at the market again.

This. Don't buy a pricey multi gas tech computer because you might need it in a couple years. Technology will have changed.
I bought an Aeris Manta for diving nitrox. When I made the move into tech, I bought a Nitek Q. Put the Manta in gauge mode and it's a fine backup.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom