shallower reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure those assumptions are true if you pick reputable valet ops. Yes, there may be a beginner or two, or a cruise diver or two (some of whom are bat **** crazy, but some of whom are great divers who happen to be on family vacation), but it's just as likely you will dive with someone who is staying all week. I don't think a solo should expect to be screwed for any reason. If you want to go to the most advanced sites, you'll need to spend a few days with the same op (and choose one that has multiple boats to increase the likelihood one is going that way); but the top ops don't run crappy trips. Even if you didn't dive with them the day before if the DM says "how bout Cedral?" Speak up and say "I was just there- anything else we can do?" You never know, unless the whole boat was asking to go there, chances are you can go somewhere else. Lots of people are willing to dive anywhere. Although, if you don't dive with the same op multiple times, you can't expect to have the same DM. But who are you diving with that you surface with 1500 psi (not cf, right? That doesn't make sense). Find someone who lets you dive your computer. Unless you are so good you have that left when the DM has 500; it doesn't make sense you would routinely surface that full. Beginners, like me, know they have to wait if they come up after only an hour. Don't accept an op that says 60 minutes and done.

I keep a slate in my dry bag for noting dive site names and start/end pressure for the day's diving. I also keep a running list of site names on the back for the entire trip. One morning Jorge at Tre P asked what sites do we want to dive? I handed him my slate and said something other than these. He laughed. He said most times the other divers just look at each other and say "I dunno." :)

I have also done this in Roatan, if you have been with a shop for most of two weeks and have a list of where you have been, I expect they will try to find a new spot for your last few dives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, if you've come to accept that, fine. But it most certainly hasn't been my experience as a single diver who dives about twice a week throughout the winter. I DO see more of Palancar Gardens than other sites, it seems, but nothing untoward.

As a solo diver I've come to accept that if I don't come with a group, or dive every day of my vacation with the same OP, I should expect:

1) My dives will be to the same reefs/sites multiple times in a trip
2) I will not have the same DM twice
3) I should expect to be on the '1-day' boats filled with newly certified, discover scuba, and cruise ship people
4) I need to be satisfied with being underwater, and not think about what I could do with the 1500cf of air left in my tank

As a solo diver I've come to accept that if I don't come with a group, or dive every day of my vacation with the same OP, I should expect:

1) My dives will be to the same reefs/sites multiple times in a trip
2) I will not have the same DM twice
3) I should expect to be on the '1-day' boats filled with newly certified, discover scuba, and cruise ship people
4) I need to be satisfied with being underwater, and not think about what I could do with the 1500cf of air left in my tank

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining!
Not complaining? It kinda sounds like it to me.

On a typical ten day trip to Cozumel, I usually have six dive days with three days fishing and one "around the island" day interleaved with dive days. I dive with the same op on every dive day, which is good; they know me and my experience level, but I don't dive every day.

1) I seldom repeat a dive site in a trip unless it's Colombia Shallows, which I am happy to return to.
2) I am happy to dive with any of the DMs at my dive op of choice, but usually I am with the same DM for most of the trip.
3) I never have to dive with discover SCUBA divers or cruseros, though there is the occasional newbie.
4) The op I dive with lets me dive my computer and air and never forces me up with 1500psi (not cf) left in my tank.

YMMV.

Side note: If you jump around from op to op, I guess you have to expect to sometimes be on boats with less experienced divers as the op is getting to know you and watching how you dive. Personally, I don't know why anyone would do that; a dive op is mostly a boat ride, but DSFDF.

Not complaining? It kinda sounds like it to me.

On a typical ten day trip to Cozumel, I usually have six dive days with three days fishing and one "around the island" day interleaved with dive days. I dive with the same op on every dive day, which is good; they know me and my experience level, but I don't dive every day.

1) I seldom repeat a dive site in a trip unless it's Colombia Shallows, which I am happy to return to.
2) I am happy to dive with any of the DMs at my dive op of choice, but usually I am with the same DM for most of the trip.
3) I never have to dive with discover SCUBA divers or cruseros, though there is the occasional newbie.
4) The op I dive with lets me dive my computer and air and never forces me up with 1500psi (not cf) left in my tank.

YMMV.

Side note: If you jump around from op to op, I guess you have to expect to sometimes be on boats with less experienced divers as the op is getting to know you and watching how you dive. Personally, I don't know why anyone would do that; a dive op is mostly a boat ride, but DSFDF.

Remarkably similar schedule and experience for us, although continuing to look just the right combination of op/DM.

I'd have to look really, really hard to experience what kixy1 has.

I have been on dives where I could swear that I could feel the radiant heat of the sunshine on my back at 30fsw. Probably my imagination.

Probably not your imagination. I get the same feeling.

I agree. I get the same feeling, AND I have my 5ml wetsuit on :D

Well, I guess it must be me.

Since I’ve been diving less and without a buddy, my experience has been that I’m either placed with a group that has been diving together for a few days, or a group of day-trippers of various abilities (usually the latter). Where else would I be placed?!

In the first situation, accommodations are attempted, but majority rules, as it should. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes they have planned to go where I dove yesterday. In the latter situation, the OP has a set number of reefs they can take these groups to. There have absolutely been a few trips where I dove only 3 or 4 sites. Happily, I like the shallower, more lit reefs, and love to spend time poking around and watching the life. Yes, I’m coming up with a LOT of air, and I suppose I could pay for my own DM or demand that I be allowed to dive my tank. I believe either would work. However, I’m happy to be diving and I don’t want to annoy or make people wait for 15 minutes or more, especially in the winter when it’s cold up top. Would I like to see more sites? Yes. Would I like more bottom time? Yes. But back to the entire reason I posted….. We don’t always get exactly what we want. You gave all kinds of reasons that Reelman1 might not get what he is looking for. All your reasons can be boiled down to the fact that the OP is in business and they have a group of people to try to make happy. I was simply sharing my experiences and how I’ve learned to change my expectations a bit.

As to ‘hopping’ from OP to OP. I’ve had favorite OPs over the years, but times, people and situations change. I’ve been shopping around for a few years as I was hoping to find the experience that all of you seem to have.

I also don’t mind diving with any DM on staff (usually). I was more addressing the idea that the DM will want to see me dive to better place me on a boat. I consider myself to be a competent diver and unless every DM has conspired to feed me a line of BS, I do just fine. I’ve been apologized to, thanked for being ‘understanding’ or assisting where I could, and promises have been made to put me on (fill in the blank) boat after almost every dive. When that consistently didn’t happen, I moved on to another OP. Just to clarify – most of the OPs I’ve used would be considered “valet” and I dive with an OP for at least a week or two at a time. However, I don’t (yet) have the luxury of diving a few times a week over the entire winter…

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I was simply sharing mine. It’s all good.

Couple of thoughts:

1. my valet op tends to consider everyone, so multiple repeats aren't happening.
2. There is one boat, so no worry about getting on the 'right' one.
3. I am diving my tank. I don't get a refund on returned nitrox. It is like a buffet, the more i eat or the less psi, the better my price per unit is!
4. As for the people waiting on the boat, it is good for them. That public shaming and boat sitting made me work on my air consumption. It is a tough love thing, but you aren't doing them favors by coming up early. If it is that cold, huddle in the cabin out of the wind. Jefe will be along when he is done. That being said, I will be sitting with you while the missus finishes 10-15 later than me....

Couple of thoughts:

1. my valet op tends to consider everyone, so multiple repeats aren't happening.
2. There is one boat, so no worry about getting on the 'right' one.
3. I am diving my tank. I don't get a refund on returned nitrox. It is like a buffet, the more i eat or the less psi, the better my price per unit is!
4. As for the people waiting on the boat, it is good for them. That public shaming and boat sitting made me work on my air consumption. It is a tough love thing, but you aren't doing them favors by coming up early. If it is that cold, huddle in the cabin out of the wind. Jefe will be along when he is done. That being said, I will be sitting with you while the missus finishes 10-15 later than me....

Well said. Bravo. Kudos.

And boy, am I a smug ass when I outlast the boss - but not too much - she cooks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom