Towable Dive Sled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I built several sleds back in the late 50's and early 60's. They even put my plans in the Skin Diver Magazine. I believe it was about October of 63. They are a ball to fly. If anyone is interested send me their e mail and I will send you a sketch.

Ben Dugger

You guys are making it way to complicated. After 35+ years operating search areas with these, it has come down to the kiss principal.
3/4 marine plywood
Approx 3' x 2'
Tow line attached slightly ahead of center
Line has a quick disconnect, horse lead or even an old seat belt buckle
Elongated holes both sides for your hands
Off the tow line where it is attached to the board on the opposit side attach a line to a 2" piece of pvc pipe about 2' long for a bum board
This is simple, easy to transport and manouverable.
You can do cartwheels, fly upside down if you have the vis
Preferably your buddy is on his own sled right beside you.
Line signals to surface
One go faster, two go slower, three stop or go
The only way to search a large area
Marine operator uses gps for grid patern mowing the lawn
Have fun

I'm not so much looking for a design as much as information.
How difficult are these to maneuver side to side.

I'd like to use one to search for wrecks. My concern is getting pulled into a cora mound. Obviously going up and over it, depending on the size, could cause some serious problems. So going around it would be ideal.

How do you signal the boat when you let go? I've read some people saying the driver will immediately notice the difference. Depending how it's made I thought one way to signal the driver would be to have a line zip-tied the length of the tow rope that connects to a light or buzzer. Have the line attached to a switch of some sort (maybe like the kill switch on a jet-ski). When you let go, it trips the switch and the boat knows to stop. Depending how far it got before stopping you could mount the sled and re-attached the switch signaling the driver to resume.

Anyone have any success stories using one to find wrecks?

Back
Top Bottom