Hurricane Ivan is next...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wife and I get on a ship out of Tampa Saturday heading to Cozumel and some wounderfull diving. I just hope it stays away long enough so the cruise doesn't cancel. THAT WOULD BE BAD!

jafo123

Padipro:
Should I pull down my shutters now that Frances has past or leave them up in case Ivan desides to pay us a visit? :eyebrow:

Believe it or not, the Orange County Chairman suggested that people in the Orlando area who had boarded up not remove boards just yet. So you're just thinking like the local authorities!

Skyjunky:
You Floridians must have really pissed off Mother Nature.

I think it has something to do with hanging chads.

Seriously, this appears to be a really bad hurricane season from an outsider's point of view. My friend in Tokyo says typhoons have been very frequent in that part of the world this year (add an earthquake to the mix yesterday).

I know our waters have been quite warm for a non El Nino year. Don't know if it has been the same elsewhere.

I guess I may not have a chance to dive the Upper Keys this trip. Of course that pales compared to what the residents in the state are going through.

Doc

Actually, we're doing pretty well over all.. or should I say 'all things considered'. It's creating a little havoc for my getting my business going because people keep ending up with no power and such, but what can ya do right? My wife already said "if we're getting an Ivan visit, we're visiting our friend in TN" and I guess that about sums it up. I'll try to get a contract job or two that way and hold up there for a few weeks to let the crews who do the backbone of the utility stuff have room to do their jobs.

For the first time in days I just heard an airplane to go over that WASN'T a hurricane hunter.

I guess that means my wife and I can go out for our 3rd anniversary tomorrow night eh :D

The latest from TWC calls for Ivan being a Cat 4, with the great possibility of increasing to a cat 5 hurricane. Maybe we'll be as lucky with Ivan as we were with Frances and the sucker will downgrade!

Channel 9 in Orlando and the Weather Channel has officially recommended not taking down storm shutters until later in the week when it becomes clearer what Ivan is going to do.

Dr. Bill is right - as busy as this Atlantic hurricane season has been, I believe there are, on average twice as many tropical cyclones in the western Pacific. They seem to be so commonplace that one co-worker said to me once in Okinawa, "Everyone loves a typhoon! The kids love it because they don't have to go to school, adults love it because they don't have to work, even the fish in the sea love it because no one's out fishing." I remember the power going out during a typhoon at a friend's house (in Okinawa) so what did we do? Go to a bowling alley, which turned out to be so packed that we had to wait about 45 minutes for a lane.

Really looking forward to the next one, so what do we get next, Charley (3rd letter), Frances (6th letter) and possibly Ivan (9th letter), what is the 12th named storm??? We have no real idea where this could go quite yet, again leave it til the mid-week before cancelling weekend plans (again)! :wink:

Actually, I am waiting for Karl (#11)! He is going to be really nasty!

I dunno how you Floridians (and that general area) put up with this... Over here in Cali all we have to worry about are earthquakes and El Nino... Hell for the most part I don't even notice when we have an earthquake and when I do I'm not sure at the time what it was... I really sympathize with you guys on this... Good luck on the storm front...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom