Diver sucked into nuclear power plant cooling system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you read about it online. Your buddy warned you, and visually showed you the danger zone. And underwater you come across the only man-made structure around and STILL don't guess what it might be? I don't think a sign on the beach is going to help you one bit.

It actually looks like a fun ride based on the many YouTube videos of it.

View attachment 368975

A hazard sign at the end of the pipe would have protected me from my own stupidity. Yes, you have to be really goofy to need that sign, but it would be a fairly easy way of having full anti-moron protection

Now, that's possible for Electric Beach, because there's a small danger zone. I don't know if you could have such signage at the intake pipe in question here, with a larger danger zone.

Different circumstances, But my point was to point out that there may be unusual, even extreme events that you may want to take into account when devising warnings

I'm surprised nothing has been said about the impeller, any idea how the suction is generated and how he got through it in one piece?

I'm surprised nothing has been said about the impeller, any idea how the suction is generated and how he got through it in one piece?

The impeller is at the far end of the intake pond. So the water goes through the pipes, into a long pond, and finally through the impellers and into the reactors.

St-Lucie-Nuclear-Power-Plant.png

From what i read the water going into these intakes at this point are gravity assisted so no impeller at the end (this comes later down in the structure after filters, grates etc).

Also there is something called a velocity cap on top of the intake which reduces the water velocity (by pulling the water from a wider cross section). This prevents/minimizes wildlife from getting sucked in as you would have to go under that cap and reach near the center where the current is strong again to be sucked in.

I mean really, it's not like the NUCLEAR plant is hidden behind a mountain. You're on a boat, you look over and see it. Under the water there are big friggin pipes that run in the direction of the plant. What kind of idiot decides it'll be a good idea to take a look? If anything the plant should sue him!

I would imagine that's what they'll do.

I'm confused. He trespassed. He wasn't seriously hurt. And... he's suing them? It should be the other way around.

It is in the Ocean. I am not sure it is trespassing to dive in the ocean. when we were there the current sucked in a floatline and we had to cut the rope off. The intake current is not noticeable until you get close, then it is strong. It is shallow and surge can be an issue, so the in and out sloshing of the waves and surge helps to disguise the intake suction to some extent.

You do NOT see pipes running inshore. There are large rectangular concrete boxes. the connecting pipes are not visible because they are buried IIRCC.

I am not sure it is trespassing to dive in the ocean.
If you failed to obey a clear warning of what lay beneath, then sure, you're trespassing. You're playing chicken with nuclear reactor. How stoopid do you have to be to think that you're going to win? Do you wait until your skin starts glowing?

What's worse, these kind of selfish actions have adverse effects on the diver community. It's unconscionable to betray all of us like that. Yeah, he went where he shouldn't have. He alone bears the responsibility for his trespass.

What was the warning Pete? I don't recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom