Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem, as I see it, is that it adds a pound or more to my luggage.
And THAT is the primary reason to avoid this situation all together!

How many times have I made it to the ticket counter only to find that my bag is 1lb over weight?! Man, I hate that. Excellent info, Z, far more well-informed than I could ever have uttered. Thanks for clarifying.

When I work our fill station, we have 2 or 3 DIN adapters as well as yoke conversion plugs. Neither is any big deal to contend with. I just always ask one simple question: Why bother? For me its all about preference and comfort. I am happy to make the customer happy. If the customer has DIN, we adapt and fill. If the customer wants 3442 via DIN in one tank, 3000 via yolk in another, 2400 EAN50 in a bail out and needs to fill his airsoft 3cf tank with itty, bitty fitty, I'm happy to oblige; and can do them all at the same time.

I too would be interested in any actual reports of regulators being knocked off the post during a dive.

....waiting.....

I apologise for trying to add some perspective.

Look, Mate, this is what used to be THE United States of America, so far as I know you should apologize not apologise. Aside from that minor tidbit, ty for the perspective. Been a long time since I dove very far from home (US, Bahamas) and I hadn't realized DIN was as pervasive as all that. Good to know. Now I have a reason to join the One World Economy and look cool at home, too. Think a redneck can get one of them there fancy DIN thangies fer cheep?

I apologise for trying to add some perspective.

It was not clear from your post that you were trying to add perspective. I re-read your post. It reads as though you disagree with the premise of the thread.

And THAT is the primary reason to avoid this situation all together!

How many times have I made it to the ticket counter only to find that my bag is 1lb over weight?! Man, I hate that.

I find that I have to carry my bags a total of approximately one mile on a typical journey from here to Florida, because of the significant distances separating parking, ticketing, security, gates, baggage claim, and car rentals at MSP and MIA.

Every pound counts.

Is knocking a yoke connection loose during a swim through on a coral reef dive, for example, at all common?

There's a video on youtube where DumpsterDiver managed to bang his back-mounted pony into something, causing it to leak. On a reef dive. It didn't come all the way off, but was leaking gas pretty quickly.

if your dislodging your yoke valves maybe its the antique craigslist gear all the new stuff seems to be very consistent

if your dislodging your yoke valves maybe its the antique craigslist gear all the new stuff seems to be very consistent
Maybe that's "Wally World Gear" :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom