Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assumed yolk was an attempt at humor.

Quite possibly spell check humor.

Many regulators are stamped with a maximum pressure on the yoke. I have some marked 4000 PSI although 3500 PSI is perhaps more common. Since USDOT regulations limit fills to 3442 PSI, the capabilities of the yoke assembly aren't limiting here for most newer regulators.

Could you post the regulation, as I have Faber MP 120 3180# working pressure+ 10% for a total of 3498# with a convertable valve.
I can believe that the cutoff might be 3500# but since the manufacture of those tanks was so shortlived that I don't know if it was DOT, the manufacturer, or the SCUBA industry that decided.

Nearly all new DIN valves sold now are the 232 bar valves that will accept a yoke conversion slug, and these are used on cylinders rated up to 3442 PSI (237 bar).

200 bar, 232 bar, 237 bar are all the same Din Connection, and whithstand the same pressures.
A good discription from Dive Gear Express:
"Outlet/Connector #13 is from DIN 477 part 1 - for cylinders with test pressure ratings up to 300 bar and is commonly referred to in the US SCUBA industry by the slang term "200 bar", because most European dive cylinders with 300 bar test pressures have working pressures in the 200 bar range. Outlet/Connector #56 is from DIN 477 part 5 - for cylinders with test pressure ratings up to 450 bar and is commonly referred to in the US SCUBA industry by the slang term "300 bar", because most European dive cylinders with 450 bar test pressures have working pressures in the 300 bar range. The two designs are nearly identical, but the #56 valve outlet is deliberately deeper so the shorter #13 connector will not be long enough to seat properly. This is a safety feature to prevent connecting a low pressure device to a high pressure supply. It's important to understand that the "200 bar" or "300 bar" descriptions are just slang terms that have nothing to do with the pressure ratings of the outlets and connectors themselves!"

Bob

Bob,

I searched and can't find anything. Does anyone have a source for the maximum allowed pressure? I understood that a limitation to 3442 PSI was the reason 3500 PSI tanks were discontinued.

Is there any credible expectation that wide-spread adoption of DIN in the U.S./North American would lead to higher pressure-rated tanks and dive shops offering higher pressure fills?

In Europe & other regions where DIN dominates, do recreational divers have ready access to tank fills in excessive of the equivalent (since I know they probably think in metric) of 3442 PSI?

Richard.

In Europe & other regions where DIN dominates, do recreational divers have ready access to tank fills in excessive of the equivalent (since I know they probably think in metric) of 3442 PSI?
In my part of Europe, quite a few divers use 300 bar tanks, typically 10L, 12L or 2x7L twinsets, so not being able to offer 300 bar fills limits the market quite a bit. So most LDSs offer 200, 235 and 300 bar fills equally. I have the impression that many clubs also do that (non-commercial club diving is more widespread than commercial resort diving in many areas).

My club's compressor have two fill whips, both 300 bar. We also have two 300 -> 200/232 bar adapters with a 250 bar safety valve plus a DIN/yoke adapter which only fits a 200/235 bar fill whip (or adapter). Even the rather antique Bauer we bring on trips has two whips; one 200/235 and one 300 bar.

I don't know about other European countries.

Richard.

Yes. All proper shops will do 300 bar fills. On a boat maybe, maybe not.

It isn't entirely mainstream, but it is not uncommon. Smaller (7 or 10l) twinsets are popular. It saves carrying lead and in our conditions with drysuits that is a significant advantage.

My solution. Use a yoke regulator and carry our own valve insert and hex key. It weighs next to nothing. If you ever encounter a DIN valve only situation then you are covered. (232 bar or course). Easier than carrying a Yoke adapter.

For what it's worth, in over 8 years worth of diving across 3 continents and 2 islands I've never seen a yoke only valve, so I use my valve converter insert a lot.

My solution. Use a yoke regulator and carry our own valve insert and hex key. It weighs next to nothing. If you ever encounter a DIN valve only situation then you are covered. (232 bar or course). Easier than carrying a Yoke adapter.

For what it's worth, in over 8 years worth of diving across 3 continents and 2 islands I've never seen a yoke only valve, so I use my valve converter insert a lot.

This is not a bad idea if your diving Yoke, and traveling into DIN areas. Also having your own allen/hex key so your not wating around on the boat for the Captain/DM to remove the slug for you. (I've seen this happen)

I would just clarify that you cannot convert all DIN valves using the typical 200bar insert. a) the slug is not deep enough for some (300bar) valves. b) you have to have the 'pro' type valve with the dimple on the back to secure the yoke clamp to. You could be in major trouble if you ever came across a 200bar NON-Pro valve and tried to use a slug converter. (don't know if these even exist). ..Just make sure you have the dimple on the back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom