Diving during Ramadhan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaltim Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, we have a little dive club in East Kalimantan just north of Bontang. I am not Muslim, but I have been recommending to our Muslim members that they should consider not diving during Ramadhan due to the increased risk of Decompression Illness due to dehydration. I have not been "forbidding" people, just recommending. Has anybody got any advice I could pass on? The general consensus is that people can swim/dive as long as they avoid getting water into their stomach, but not much on the possible health risks of dehydration. Ramadhan Kareem.

I don't know anything about ramadan, but if dehydration is a concern, you might find good information from DANs website,
The DAN "More Water, Less Bubbles" safety campaign.
DAN started the "More Water, Less Bubbles" campaign at the end of 2012. Articles in Alert Diver magazine and on the DAN website have been supplemented recently with dehydration awareness surveys and specific information on how to avoid dehydration and lower the risk of DCS. DAN has also brought out an aluminium drinking bottle with the campaign's slogan: "More Water, Less Bubbles" which refers to correlation between adequate hydration and a reduced risk for bubble formation and growth.

Hope that helps some.

Safe diving

During Ramadhan muslims fast - no food or drink basically from dawn to dusk. As a result dehydration may be an issue. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience and could give me a recommendation. But thanks for the info, I am also a big believer in lots and lots of water.

I can't comment on your clients specifically, but my experience diving with Muslims over Ramadan is that at the very least they will still drink water during the day. I don't know if you clients are more strict about it than those I know, but have you at least suggested that they drink water, even if they fast everything else? They may not be as strict as you think about it?

I can't comment on your clients specifically, but my experience diving with Muslims over Ramadan is that at the very least they will still drink water during the day. I don't know if you clients are more strict about it than those I know, but have you at least suggested that they drink water, even if they fast everything else? They may not be as strict as you think about it?

Thanks Wetpup. It's very much a personal decision. I also understand some people will at least stay hydrated. I will just have to play it by ear and hope we don't have an issue. Maybe we'll switch to night dives for a while. Thanks again.

they should avoid diving in day time and opt for night dives!! plus, its only 30 days, I mean, its not the end of the world if they abstain from diving for 30 days !! they would have 335 days left to dive!!

I'm a muslim btw, and its either you do or dont fast but, to break your fasting for diving is funny to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom