Student Pulled from Elliott Bay in Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In severely limited viz even with "only two" OW divers, if one has any issue you are probably going to loose sight of one of the two.

I have seen instructors leading a group on dive 3 (maybe dive 4) counting on a guide line marking the trail to keep students from getting lost in 10 ft viz They did not keep all students in visual contact. I was solo in the area of one such class diving solo and came across a student who had gotten lost and off the line. Took her back to rejoin her class at the anchor.

A young woman lost on a training dive. There are lessons to be learned. What dive store, what instructional agency, not to place blame just to find answers and maybe improvements.

I strongly believe that the abbreviated courses have resulted in poorly "trained" divers.

I strongly believe that the abbreviated courses have resulted in poorly "trained" divers.

Looking at the schedule on the Seattle Scuba website, the Confined Water portion of the class is one evening in the pool from 6:30PM to 11:00PM.

Don't take uncertified students into low viz, and particularly low viz with a silty bottom, and really really don't teach students to do things on their knees when they are going to be diving in class with low viz and a silty bottom.

Reactions: mdb
Looking at the schedule on the Seattle Scuba website, the Confined Water portion of the class is one evening in the pool from 6:30PM to 11:00PM.
they aren't alone in that, there are so many places teaching with a schedule very close to that...:-(

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts lamenting the perceived decline in teaching standards compared to the "good old days" have been deleted. Please stay on topic and remember the special rules for the A&I forum

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts lamenting the perceived decline in teaching standards compared to the "good old days" have been deleted. Please stay on topic and remember the special rules for the A&I forum
Why? it is relevant to the issue at hand. Don't over moderate. You do a disservice to the dialogue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom