newly certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessieCho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, just want to introduce myself as I just got certified in Thailand about two weeks ago. I would like to continue to dive and since it's pretty cold here, I want to ask if people tend to dive in the Monterey area with dry suit or wet suit? Any tips for newbies will be appreciated!

i dive dry. you can make a good 7mm with a hooded vest work if you don't get cold easy and don't go too deep.

there are two bay area scuba meetups you can find a buddy from. ala costa divers is a dive club that meets in orinda.

I've gone diving a few time in Monterey, and would advise wearing a dry suit. I know that a dry suit (with the additional cost of an undergarment) is quite an expense, but I value comfort highly. If you are not warm, you won't have as much fun and you don't want to cut dives short because you are cold. First try a 7 mil for a long dive staying in the shallows and see if that works, as what works for you, may not work for me, and vice versa.

It depends on your cold tolerance. With some folks, a wetsuit simply isnt an option, its too cold for them.

I have good cold tolerance. I dive wet, and Im fine underwater. However, note, I generally don't dive Jan & Feb, mainly b/c its just too damn cold topside.

Im also cheap, and a drysuit is just too expensive for me.

I will say, that a good wetsuit makes a good difference. I recommend either a good suit w an attached hood (what I use - 8mm on the torso), or the added hooded vest suggestion. Otherwise, there will be a trickle of cold water constantly traveling down you back, chilling you

I dive a Hollis neotek and am just fine for the most part, yes it gets cold at times and will be soon looking into dry. I'm not far from you if you ever want to dive just message me- I dive almost every weekend in Monterey

I dive a Hollis neotek and am just fine for the most part, yes it gets cold at times and will be soon looking into dry. I'm not far from you if you ever want to dive just message me- I dive almost every weekend in Monterey

thanks Mike! Do i need to get certified before using a dry suit?

Jessie:

There is an old proverb in our area: "Cry once and buy a drysuit." Very few people in our area can perform multiple lengthy dives in one day, using a wetsuit. Don't fall for the marketing hype of semi-drysuits. A good fitting wetsuit naturally limits water movement. It's the neoprene that insulates you. At depth all neoprene suits compress, reducing your protective insulation.

Yes, a good quality drysuit such as the DUI TLS or FlexExtreme bears a high cost. However, they last a long time and enable you to dive comfortably through out the day. Most dive shops will offer a dry-suit orientation if you purchase one from them. Also you must consider the cost of the thermal undergarments, and any accessory you wish to purchase with the suit (rock boots, dry gloves, gaters, etc).

O.

thanks Ouvea. I'll have to visit a local dive shop one of these days and pick up all the things I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom