Solo Boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to that end, i am actually teaching a couple of SDI Solo Diver classes over the next month. Here in Florida it is pretty typical to not "buddy up" per se. However, the Solo class does make a lot of sense for someone who wants a better handle on risk mitigation and problem solving.

Uncfp I have dove solo with Under Pressure in Hatteras and Tortuga in MHC. Then again, they know me and I scooter dive, so every dive is a solo dive on a big wreck.
Hey Randy. Good to know. My next dive off the NC coast will be with a smaller more personal boat. Hope to get on a Tortuga dive in the future.

Nemrod.

The Technical training teach you the same and more then the SOLO training, if you go solo you go with an redundant system, that is the reason I ask, as I can see them as the same grade of skills and equipment.

As a Tec diver you learn to solve your problems, the way I see it a buddy is a bonus in the worse case scenario of all equipment failure, then you go to your 3rd backup gas that is with your buddy.

In Vancouver, BC Canada I don't think it matters much if you have a card or not, if you show up and can prove your ability/skills (and your gear is appropriate/redundant), then you are left to do your own thing. Solo diving is pretty common and popular around these parts.

Nemrod.

The Technical training teach you the same and more then the SOLO training, if you go solo you go with an redundant system, that is the reason I ask, as I can see them as the same grade of skills and equipment.

As a Tec diver you learn to solve your problems, the way I see it a buddy is a bonus in the worse case scenario of all equipment failure, then you go to your 3rd backup gas that is with your buddy.
Get your tech instructor to issue you a solo card. Problem solved.

He needs to make a living as well, I don't get that for free, why spending that money if you already learned the skills and you know what equipment you need to use.

Nemrod.

My point is that the tech card says nothing about solo diver. For ops who are leery of solo and are not tech savvy (most) the technical cards you have, where on them does it say that you are solo qualified and cognizant of the differences between buddy dependent diving and solo diving, not only not buddy dependent but no buddy at all?

N

my diving in So Cal was all solo too, no problems. Even more relaxed than FL as they didn't send a dive master out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom