Solo Boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have you been allowed to do a Solo boat rec dives by showing your Tec certification ?

I would not think that a "tech" certification would suffice since tech divers of the DIR ilk are very buddy reliant as part of their team approach training. But this thing of having to have a card for every single activity is a little much too.

N

Usually if you've been successfully diving & have a good history with a particular Commercial/Sport Diveboat Captain & Crew (along with the usual signed Waivers/Release) it should be no problem.

If it's a dive boat operation never used before, I would be prepared to present Tech/Trimix/Advanced Nitrox & Deco Certs; a DPV/Scooter Cert; and a SDI Solo Diver Certification & dive log if requested.

Hi Remy B. The answers to your question might vary by the location. Any particular part of the world you want to dive solo?

Off the coast of NC solo diving may not be allowed period. With the ops I dive In Florida, the diver not the card plays a bigger role. Shore diving Bonaire, no card needed.

I would not think that a "tech" certification would suffice since tech divers of the DIR ilk are very buddy reliant as part of their team approach training. But this thing of having to have a card for every single activity is a little much too.

N
Not reliant at all. I could do a entire dive without a buddy if I wanted. I don't *need* a buddy to do anything. I *want* a buddy because of what it brings to the table.

Hi Remy B. The answers to your question might vary by the location. Any particular part of the world you want to dive solo?

Off the coast of NC solo diving may not be allowed period. With the ops I dive In Florida, the diver not the card plays a bigger role. Shore diving Bonaire, no card needed.

I've never had a problem diving solo off NC.

I do not disagree with you in regards to YOU but I see what I see. Mind set, gear configurations for team divers do not translate to solo. And, nothing on a tech card says anything about solo qualified.

That said, I fully believe there are many divers who do just fine solo, with or without specific training, because they (and you) have gained it through much experience.

N

Last edited:
I've never had a problem diving solo off NC.
I only know Olympus. They were pretty firm on their no solo policy, even with a card and experience. Been told its true of some others off the NC coast but no first hand experience. Also been told that some NC boats are more receptive to solo once they get to know you. Haven't gotten to dive NC enough to know.

I got the distinct impression from Olympus it was all for the benefit of their records (liability).

Who do you dive with?

Last edited:
All my dives in Pensacola FL have been solo, and several were tech dives.

Any place I have been that allows solo diving wants to see a "solo" card to dive solo. These are the rules above water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom