Tec solo training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, which diving agencies offer a training for Tec solo diving with deco ?
Kind regards & bubbles
Any tec training should teach you the skills that you need to dive solo.
- else you would be a liability, not a resource.

Once you are self-reliant, you can choose to dive in a team (may be safer) or solo (with assumed risk). Now, it does get complicated: If you dive alone, then you may have a heightened awareness of risk, while in a team you might rely too much on others. Depending on your team and yourself, either choice might be safer. I've been diving with a buddy, and experiencing an OOA situation, and only seeing his fins. My buddy was completely useless then, as I needed to solve the issue in 60 seconds and he was swimming away and beyond reach.

Can you learn these skills in two days? Or should you have those skills and review them in the two days?

Of course there's some things you learn on the course as you go through the lectures. There's not enough time to learn new "core" skills such as using a twinset/sidemount/backup along with the other failures that your instructor's going to cause.

Question: do you really get people on that course who've never used a Pony/stage bottle backup before? Do you get them to properly monitor the gas left as they're using it?
The solo course I taught was never less than 4 days and included classroom, pool session(s), and a minimum of 2 days of OW dives. Some took more. And yes, the ones who took more time may not have slung a bottle before. If not, we spent a pool session on that. Clipping, unclipping, and deploying.
Just because it can be taught in two days, doesn't mean it has to. SDI encourages instructors to add to the class to meet local conditions. When I did my own solo class the instructor had me deploy a bag, midwater, not change depth, and do it without a mask. That's not in the standards for the class. But it was in his.
I kept it in mine. It's a great confidence builder.
I spent 3-4 in mine on gas management. Many people had never heard of Rock Bottom and some didn't know how to use RMV because while they had the number of dives to start the class, they were still going with the be back with 500PSI school of gas management.

The solo course I taught was never less than 4 days and included classroom, pool session(s), and a minimum of 2 days of OW dives. Some took more. And yes, the ones who took more time may not have slung a bottle before. If not, we spent a pool session on that. Clipping, unclipping, and deploying.
Just because it can be taught in two days, doesn't mean it has to. SDI encourages instructors to add to the class to meet local conditions. When I did my own solo class the instructor had me deploy a bag, midwater, not change depth, and do it without a mask. That's not in the standards for the class. But it was in his.
I kept it in mine. It's a great confidence builder.
I spent 3-4 in mine on gas management. Many people had never heard of Rock Bottom and some didn't know how to use RMV because while they had the number of dives to start the class, they were still going with the be back with 500PSI school of gas management.
I loathe solo diving. I enjoy the company of other divers, but most of my tech dives are solo. Not by choice, but because of the dearth of patient, trustworthy solo buddies.

I'm a solo diving instructor and a SDI wreck diving instructor. I've yet to teach a solo course, I think because most of my students learn to like being in the company of competent buddies.

In my wreck courses, my goal is to show the student all the things that can go wrong. One of the greatest compliments a student ever gave me was the comment, "I saw what they were doing and I thought about doing that 'swim through' with no line, in 0 vis. I stayed outside the wreck because of what you taught me."

So, In Curacao last week I was required to show my solo card to do solo dives. Once that was done they were happy to give me deco gas for those dives.

I loathe solo diving. I enjoy the company of other divers, but most of my tech dives are solo. Not by choice, but because of the dearth of patient, trustworthy solo buddies.

I'm a solo diving instructor and a SDI wreck diving instructor. I've yet to teach a solo course, I think because most of my students learn to like being in the company of competent buddies.

In my wreck courses, my goal is to show the student all the things that can go wrong. One of the greatest compliments a student ever gave me was the comment, "I saw what they were doing and I thought about doing that 'swim through' with no line, in 0 vis. I stayed outside the wreck because of what you taught me."
Solo is pretty much the only time I feel completely relaxed in the water and not "on duty." If I'm diving with another person there is always a part of me that feels some responsibility towards them. I dive solo to just be there and chill. Nothing I like better than toodling around the quarry perimeter in 10-15 ft of water when it's warm and spending ten minutes watching a bluegill tend its nest. Without worrying about someone else getting bored with it.
It was just another factor in deciding to stop teaching.

So, In Curacao last week I was required to show my solo card to do solo dives. Once that was done they were happy to give me deco gas for those dives.
Hi, strange enough since according to all contributors to this post, none of the big training agencies have the balls to deliver a Tec Solo training/certification ... I might then consider PSAI, ISE or UTD to learn in a comprehensive way (even if no cert) the advanced solo skills ... I find myself in a situation where I more and more Tec dive solox2 : Alone in the water with 1 deco tank for 25' deco after "chasing" Mola mola at 50m and alone at the surface as well with my land scooter only (no emergency O2 ...) just my relatives knowing where and when I dive ...

I don't understand many of the posts in this thread. If someone wants to go solo diving with deco, then what's to stop him/her--unless it's a particular dive op (or regional laws or ordinances, or insurance limitations). In that case, don't dive with that dive op. When I decided I would solo dive, I simply went solo diving. If I ever decide I want to solo deco dive, I will simply do that, too.

If I need a card, though, I suppose I'll have to get a card.

Someone wrote above: One of the greatest compliments a student ever gave me was the comment, "I saw what they were doing and I thought about doing that 'swim through' with no line, in 0 vis. I stayed outside the wreck because of what you taught me." Did that student really need to be "taught" this? Beyond his/her basic open water course, I mean?

rx7diver

Hi, strange enough since according to all contributors to this post, none of the big training agencies have the balls to deliver a Tec Solo training/certification ... I might then consider PSAI, ISE or UTD to learn in a comprehensive way (even if no cert) the advanced solo skills ... I find myself in a situation where I more and more Tec dive solox2 : Alone in the water with 1 deco tank for 25' deco after "chasing" Mola mola at 50m and alone at the surface as well with my land scooter only (no emergency O2 ...) just my relatives knowing where and when I dive ...
On the other hand... Maybe it's not worth the liability and you sound too much like Doc Deep to make it worth their while to offer a class on how to perish at sea.

Doing a quite a lot solo deco dives recently. I generally enjoy solo diving and I'm a guy with a camera who can spend 20 minutes next to that pygmy seahorse at 35 meters. My buddies usually suffer because of this habit if I'm with them. They enjoy the pictures though :-D Tech instructors who certified me were freaking out when I was talking about solo diving with deco. My guess is just they're afraid of liability if their student goes diving solo and dies.
So eventually I just managed to get the tanks and since then i do dive solo with deco. (WIth some extra contingency plan like double deco bottles.) It's actually awesome because unlike some of my buddies - depth-addicted tech dudes who have to go 50+ meters deep if they do tech I can just go and just stay almost an hour at 35-40 meters if I find that shrimp or crab or fish or nudibranch I want to observe and capture pictures. Also lack of requirement to count reserve gas for the buddy opens up some variants in gas planning. If some agency taught the course I'd definitely taken it.

Doing a quite a lot solo deco dives recently. I generally enjoy solo diving and I'm a guy with a camera who can spend 20 minutes next to that pygmy seahorse at 35 meters. My buddies usually suffer because of this habit if I'm with them. They enjoy the pictures though :-D Tech instructors who certified me were freaking out when I was talking about solo diving with deco. My guess is just they're afraid of liability if their student goes diving solo and dies.
So eventually I just managed to get the tanks and since then i do dive solo with deco. (WIth some extra contingency plan like double deco bottles.) It's actually awesome because unlike some of my buddies - depth-addicted tech dudes who have to go 50+ meters deep if they do tech I can just go and just stay almost an hour at 35-40 meters if I find that shrimp or crab or fish or nudibranch I want to observe and capture pictures. Also lack of requirement to count reserve gas for the buddy opens up some variants in gas planning. If some agency taught the course I'd definitely taken it.
Makasih untuk informasi ini. Dimana menyelam ?
Hati hati

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom