Waterproof wetsuit, worth the hype/price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings!
I am heading to the Great Barrier reef next June and am looking for a new wetsuit. I am considering a Waterproof brand.
question 1: Are they worth the hype/cost? It seems they are about $50-$100 more than a comparable brand. I like the features listed on the website.

question 2: I have read a review or two that stated their 3mm is like a 5mm for warmth because of the lack of water transfer in the suit. Is this true? GBR at this time will be in low 70's. I will be on the Spirit of Freedom liveaboard so I will be diving a lot. Suggestions for a suit if I go Waterproof?

I appreciate your time and opinion. Thanks.

I own a couple of Waterproof brand wetsuits, they are very well built, and I'd buy another one when the time comes. I'm not sure if I'd go all the way and say that their 3mm is equal to a 5mm, but they are very warm. I'm a warm water wus, if water temperature is much below 80 I'm getting the dry suit out.

I haven't any experience with Waterproof's wetsuits since I'm a drysuit diver, but Waterproof's hoods and gloves are highly regarded here in cold water country. For the same neoprene thickness, they are noticeably above the competition in terms of warmth.

Hy Wader,

I have to say that i own a Waterproof and i love it. As an instructor my wet suits suffer a lot. Other ones i had didn´t last so much as the waterproof, and mine has around 800 dives and still looks pretty new.

I have the 5mm and this last days the water here is around 21degrees celsius (sorry im am totally not used to Farenheit) for 2 or 3 dives a day i use a hoody and socks but i am still warm with it.

The details are very well done,the zippers last forever and the reinforcements are still doing well its job.

I would definetelly go for it.

Happy bubbles

Gery @scubalegends

http://www.scubalegends.wordpress.com

http://www.facebook.com/scubalegends

PS: Enjoy your dives in the Great Barrier Reef, i am pretty gelose of that ;-D

Nothing to add about Waterproof wet suits but I've done the Spirit of Freedom; great trip, have fun!

Waterproof makes excellent suits. I have a 7mm and it is phenomenal for quality and warmth. Only thing I caution is to make sure you can try one on or have the option to return. I've read that some of Waterproofs suits have slightly tight sleeves... Something I've noticed trying on some 3mm but ymmv.

Better than getting one thick suit is to get a 3mm with a core warmer or hooded vest to layer your warmth. In the end, it will be more versatile and allow you to adjust to your conditions exactly as needed.

Waterproof wetsuits are absolutely top notch quality. But, warmth is going to come from a good fit and seals. I wear a ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2 in water down to 71 degrees. It fits me really well and, unlike most other 3mm suits, the EverFlex has smoothskin seals at the wrists, ankles, and neck, and has a spine pad behind the main zipper. Plus, of course, the Glued and Blind Stitched seams. It's very nearly a semi-dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom