GWS nipped a free diver in California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very spooky!!!!

I am headed to Catalina this weekend to do some diving. I was talking with a dive-op who has thousands of dives in Catalina and has never seen a white shark. I told him I have heard of multiple spotting at or near Catalina.
Here is that video:

I also found a video off Catalina not in the dive park, but the video states it is a 15 foot white shark destroying a seal.

In my opinion, you must do everything not to look like a seal. Blowing scuba bubbles, not shooting fish who leak blood and show distress. Many experts say you should wear as much blue as possible in white shark territory. Very rare for a diver to have an encounter, but I try to take all precautions.

I talked to some experts, VERY smart experts, and they said you should wear pink to be save. Make sure to take a selfie and post it here.

I talked to some experts, VERY smart experts, and they said you should wear pink to be save. Make sure to take a selfie and post it here.

If it's on the net, then it must be true. Pink it is. :wink:

yikes

I'd expect we'll see a Craigslist ad that same day:

"For sale - one spear gun, one fin, wetsuit, yellow gloves. Giving up spearfishing."

I bet that was the longest 3 minutes of his life, finning backwards to the shore. The interaction with the shark starts at about 1:30 in the video, for those of you who are interested. After about a minute, I started humming the Jaws theme.

With 1 fin.

About seven years ago I was diving up around Goleta in a spot like that - relatively shallow, sandy, lousy viz. My buddy and I were swimming out and noticed a big, dark shape under us; my mind was definitely dropping multiple f-bombs until I saw the whites of the eyes looking up at me. It was just an elephant seal, but after that we looked at each other and I gestured 'Go to the bottom, NOW."
I'd rather see a great white.
Elephant Seal Attacks Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom