sea sick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing wrong with quick & easy somatic remedies/medications for sea sickness, but you can break the dependency on them over time with self-hypnosis/visualization only, building up in the process your own "psychosomatic tolerance".

The motivation is to do all means cognitively to help yourself without any over-the-counter drugs (and the side-effects they can produce), but only seek professional help with prescribed medication as necessary when those avenues, methods of self-help are not viable.

Here again is the method and the logic behind using the cognitive visualization technique which I've posted about in few boards including several threads in the past here on Scubaboard:

Most people don't get motion sickness while driving a car or piloting a boat/plane; the reason being because you're directly effecting the action of the vessel, you see what actions you have to take to steer a clear passage, you anticipate and react to the dynamic forces that result from such actions. Your mind/body kinesthetics are synchronized, your vestibular senses unconfounded, and you don't develop the nausea associated with motion sickness.

Here's how to achieve that state as a passenger on a diveboat:

Look not only at the Horizon, but also at the railing of the boat in the foreground --and see how it all moves relative to each other as the boat makes way through the swells. Memorize that movement and close your eyes, feel the boat's rhythm moving through the swells, and "see" that railing/horizon movement in your mind's eye. Anticipate where that railing/horizon orientation will be when you open your eyes . . .and finally open your eyes to see it and confirm it. Convince your mind and inner ear that you are in dynamic motion based on your sense of balance, tactile/kinesthetic feedback, and coordinating-synchronizing it all with the movement pattern of the railing/horizon which you just memorized. . .

In other words . . .don't anticipate being seasick --anticipate being in control, knowing & feeling what the boat's motion is going to be. With practice of this simple visualization, you can even "quell the queasiness" in the roughest sea conditions --all without any medication of any kind.

Again --All you gotta do is look at the horizon, see how it moves relative to the boat's motion and memorize that pattern, and then get a feeling for the rhythm of the swells and synchronize it with horizon's motion. Now when you go down belowdecks, just play it all back in your "mind's eye" as you begin to feel & anticipate the boat's apparent motion --or even imagine the boat belowdecks is transparent and you can actually see the horizon & swells in sync with the boat's apparent motion-- it's all just visualization without medication and it works!

That's the visualization technique you gotta practice, and unfortunately it's difficult to do if you're concentrating on something else like setting up your gear, reading a book, watching a video, worrying about running out of ginger pills/dramamine/bonine etc. But once you get good at it, you can hold the malaise to a reasonable level even in stormy seas --a "four" for instance on a scale from 1 to 10, with "ten" being projectile vomiting, extreme nausea, hugging the rail and begging for someone to shoot you . . . (In my thirty hour passage from mainland Costa Rica to Cocos Island, I was cognitively exhausted using the technique over an extended period, and just simply fell asleep naturally). . .

I use Bonine. I take two pills an hour before getting on the boat. Works great for me. I never used to get seasick, but it happened recently on two dive boats I was on. Got so sick I couldn't dive. This way I don't waste the money I spent on the dive trip.

Agreed on the Bonine. I too have grown up around boats and in the water and have never had a problem. There is something about the open ocean, the way larger boats roll and likely the anticipation of a dive that pushed me over the "sea sick" edge one trip. Miserable to say the least. Following that trip, I did some research and landed on Bonine. I have not been sea sick since and I have done quite a few nautical boat rides since (NC & SC Coast). Key is to take one dose the night before and one in the morning before you head to the dock. Additionally, be sure to eat non-fatty neutral foods in the morning. (eggs, dry toast, etc.) Stay away from high salt or acidic foods/drinks.

I know there is some talk regarding the patch on this thread also, a number of fellow divers that I know have also had great success with the patch.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Matt

For many friends the big secret was, if going diving in the AM, taking the 1st seasick pill when going to bed the night before. Or at least starting 3-4 hrs before leaving dry land.

This is good:
Doc Vikingo's Sea Sickness Remedies

I do the scopolamine patch AND Bonine (1 hour before boat time) and have never had a problem since. Each patch lasts 3 days even under water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom