is there a shortage of job in the commercial diving industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah i understand, the job is definitely is scary as hell, doesnt automatically mean you cant do it, just sounds like you need some balls.

I was asking what he means. What's scary about working on docks? Do they throw snakes at you, or something?

I was asking what he means. What's scary about working on docks? Do they throw snakes at you, or something?

Working on docks isn't bad. Working under them in typically zero visibility, under an acre of a flat-bottom container ship's hull, and hoping you don't get sucked into sea chest that wasn't secured can be disconcerting. It is manageable and safe with proper training and support crew. It is no place for a scuba diver regardless if they have commercial, military, recreational training.

As a commercial diver you will get paid for the work you do underwater. Diving is just your mode of travel to work, what skills do you have? Welding, surveying etc.
do you see this profession losing jobs more and more to machines such as ROVs?

Says the tough guy that has apparently never even done a discover scuba dive. Pretty funny.:shakehead:
lol i promise you im not claiming im some big tough guy, but the challenge does intrigue me.

Fiction at its best.

Could be, but I know what they charged us and and someone was making serious money for a 5 employee company.

By scared they meant they had an ear fatal experience. They were trying to float a 65' old wooden boat that was falling apart with cables and fishing gear including gillnets hanging everywhere on it. It was abandoned and used as a dumpster before it sank.

They had to use a pressure washer to jet holes under it for the lifting straps. They were all bottom walking and I tried to swim down with a scuba tank to check it out. It was scary as hell and won't be doing it again.

They used 2 20,000kg lift bags and 6 10,000kg lift bags and it wasn't quite enough. It almost got up high enough to start dewatering and a bag popped rolling to boat over and she crashed back down. Had the bag popped while they were readjusting them 20 min earlier it could have been fatal.

Could be, but I know what they charged us and and someone was making serious money for a 5 employee company.

By scared they meant they had an ear fatal experience. They were trying to float a 65' old wooden boat that was falling apart with cables and fishing gear including gillnets hanging everywhere on it. It was abandoned and used as a dumpster before it sank.

They had to use a pressure washer to jet holes under it for the lifting straps. They were all bottom walking and I tried to swim down with a scuba tank to check it out. It was scary as hell and won't be doing it again.

They used 2 20,000kg lift bags and 6 10,000kg lift bags and it wasn't quite enough. It almost got up high enough to start dewatering and a bag popped rolling to boat over and she crashed back down. Had the bag popped while they were readjusting them 20 min earlier it could have been fatal.
is this from salvage diving or a actual boat they were on? definitely does sound scary as hell though.

If you are not a recreational certified diver yet (that's what it looks like) then you have a llllloooooonnnnnngggggg way to go.
i wish i could do that, but i live in louisville kentucky, not much suitable diving water around here.

I dare say that the water around Louisville will turn out, on the average, more suitable water than a commercial dive job.

What's scary about working on docks? Do they throw snakes at you, or something?

Mostly metaphorical snakes, but you can never rule out actual ones.

Good luck
Bob

do you see this profession losing jobs more and more to machines such as ROVs?
I had to save 2 last year that were stuck in pipes. I think we're a long way off from being replaced by them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom