Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

This summer I am traveling to Mexico to do a divemaster and AIC internship. I have spent 99% of my dives in my Zeagle Ranger. I been debating on getting a travel BC (Zeagle Covert) for the trip, but unsure if it would be that great for the training. Is this worth looking at or just take the Ranger?

Spend the money on SPARE eg. computer, mask, torch etc etc
Lets Say, Craigslist has been my gear friend and I have plenty of spares. Unless Atomic rolls out that wrist computer before I leave I am in good shape.

Wouldn't you need a BC with more lift than the Covert as a DM? I.e. helping a new diver or distressed diver, carrying extra weight to help configure a diver, etc. Mind you, I'm just a new diver - but the DMs who've helped me are always schlepping around stuff like extra weight, slates, etc.

Z Ranger is a great bc. Although I have a Covert which I love for travel because I fly to most of my diving, I don't think I would dump the Ranger in favor of the Covert, especially since you have a good familiarity with the Ranger. Why complicate your Dm training by having to adjust to a new bc? Do as Centrals suggest, and use you money elsewhere.

Wouldn't you need a BC with more lift than the Covert as a DM? I.e. helping a new diver or distressed diver, carrying extra weight to help configure a diver, etc. Mind you, I'm just a new diver - but the DMs who've helped me are always schlepping around stuff like extra weight, slates, etc.

It's not recommended to use your own BC to lift another diver. It puts you in a position where you are more likely to have an uncontrolled ascent. DMs do often carry a few extra pounds but not enough to require a larger BC.

IMO the ranger is way too big and bulky for tropical diving. But to each his own.

It's not recommended to use your own BC to lift another diver. It puts you in a position where you are more likely to have an uncontrolled ascent. DMs do often carry a few extra pounds but not enough to require a larger BC.
IMO the ranger is way too big and bulky for tropical diving. But to each his own.

For the most part I completely agree, hence why I am bringing up the topic. In your opinion, what BC's would be looking at?

For the most part I completely agree, hence why I am bringing up the topic. In your opinion, what BC's would be looking at?

Definitely a backplate/wing set up. I would recommend that for any diver in any situation. To me the rigid plate with webbing harness and a small wing provides way better tank stability, weight distribution, lack of clutter, and overall performance and comfort. But that's an opinion.

In general if you are diving in tropical water with a thin wetsuit you want a more minimal BC, with less lift. I did my DM in Roatan with an AL plate, one piece webbing harness, and oxycheq 18 lb wing. There are a few situations in the class where it's nice to have a quick release on the harness, in particular demonstrating rescue techniques; in a real rescue if you needed to remove someone's BP/W quickly you would cut the harness.

Someone is likely to post that if you are working as an instructor, the shop will want you to use the shop's gear as an incentive for students to buy that gear. (That's why most shops offer OW classes, to sell gear) My strong opinion on the matter is that if you are going to the trouble and expense of being a dive instructor, you should find the gear set up that you believe works the best and teach in it, thus providing a good example for the students.

I guess I have assumed that by 'Mexico' you mean warm Caribbean water. If you're talking about pacific Mexico and you need a thick wetsuit, personally I would still go with a BP/W, definitely a steel plate, but a slightly larger wing to provide the lift need from a thick wetsuit compressing.

I just got back from two weeks in Palau and dove a ScubaPro Litehawk. I have been diving a SP Seahawk that had a couple of large pockets but I found myself never using the pockets so I went in search of a more travel friendly BC. A buddy of mine recommended that I look at their Litehawk. After diving it in Palau I will most likely never dive my Seahawk again. The new BC is a few pounds lighter in weight and gets rid of the big bulky pockets at your side. It still has two rear trim pouches for weights and it has two small pockets that you can also put weights in or remove them if you don't need them. It has two tank straps that will hold your tank in place. I never once felt it shifting or moving around.

Can't recommend it highly enough and great quality as well.

Definitely a backplate/wing set up. I would recommend that for any diver in any situation. To me the rigid plate with webbing harness and a small wing provides way better tank stability, weight distribution, lack of clutter, and overall performance and comfort. But that's an opinion.

I guess I have assumed that by 'Mexico' you mean warm Caribbean water. If you're talking about pacific Mexico and you need a thick wetsuit, personally I would still go with a BP/W, definitely a steel plate, but a slightly larger wing to provide the lift need from a thick wetsuit compressing.

Yes I am heading down to Cozumel, I thought I added that, but I see now I did not. Planning on just using my Sharkskin, figure that be enough,.

Interesting timing on your Post. I spent the Day looking at Zeagle Backplates and wings. Since I live about 30 minutes from Zeagle I have always tried to give them support. With that, I did spend some time looking at the Hollis Back plates too. I have to admit, they may be nicer then the Zeagle.

Where I got lost, was the bladders horseshoe v. Donut. I asked a buddy that dives with a big bertha, but he did not have much info on it either. I am leaning to the Horseshoe (figure it closer to my ranger in performance), and the Deluxe harness. You have any thoughts on this?

Why the Steel instead of the aluminum?

I am looking to be an instructor someday, mostly for tax reasons. Both kids are now in college, house is paid off and I really needs some rights offs as I am still in my earl 40's. So I will contact myself out, to whomever fits for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom