New to diving, and would love advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the most important thing for a new diver is to GO DIVING!
get dive experience...dive and then dive some more.
that is how you get better at it, how you relax more and how it becomes even more addictive :)
that is also how you meet some awesome people and end up with dive buddies all over the world.

Consider this a formal invite to come to Florida and dive with the Vero Beach Scuba Club. We welcome new divers and we run frequent trips for all levels of divers!

Welcome to the addiction. :snorkel:

Hi Liv, welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your cert.
Lots of good advice to be had on SB. As a relatively new diver myself I would say to work on your buoyancy control and slow your breathing (assuming you haven't already got this sorted), this will really help you to relax and have fun. You'll learn other skills from there on. There's no substitute for experience, so dive as much as you can! :)
Take care of yourself and look out for your buddies ... Enjoy! :clearmask:

Last edited:
I found that the key to diving often, becoming a better diver and having fun while doing it is to get plugged in to a local community. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and visit local dive shops, dive instructors, charter services, dive clubs and make an effort to get to know people. Diving is expensive, but I can't put a price on all the new friends, acquaintances and memories I've made in just 2 years of diving.

Hey my name is Olivia and I just joined SB. I got certified last May (2016) and realized scuba diving is a dream. Any advice for a new diver or just suggestions on how to make diving a great experience each time? Or just introduce yourself so I get a better feel for this forum! :)

Hi Mermaid.Liv: Welcome to SB. You've come to the right place. Dive often and with people who love diving. They will inspire you to dive even more and enjoy the uw world.

My diving life: Dive for about 75 dives in varied locations with several dive buddies. My first and only regular dive buddy got married and moved 10 years ago. Became a divemaster. So, I dive solo, but limit depths to 30' or a bit more. No, I'm not Solo or PADI Self-Reliant Certified. Diving often with people who love diving MAY not be an economical option if you live in the boonies. Do what you have to do and be safe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom