Sealed vs unsealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because that is what it looked like after I got the grease (silicone) out of it... this was after a scrub and an ultrasonic bath....

That must have been a real mess. I am surprised the US cleaner did not do a better job.

it was.... this might have been prior to the US, but a hot bath to get the rusty silicone out... I don't specifically remember.

and the seller listed it as "fully serviced"... When I hooked it up the first time, it spewed grease out of the ambient ports. Contacted the seller immediately, and he was an obnoxious A$$H*LE and continually questioned that I had any idea of what I was doing when I told him of the issues regarding the POS he sold me. He kept telling me it was fine when it left the shop, and must have been damaged in shipping. He even claimed the grease coming out of it was somehow from my tank! Just being me, I had to open it up, and found a train wreck. I knew once opening it, he would claim it wasn't the same stage, and as it was an older one, there are no numbers to track it by. You get a strong feeling about folks, and mine wasn't any good about him. BTW - He wanted me to send it back at my cost, and he would service it (oh, free of charge for labor, but I would also have to pay for parts). Kept stating their BS warranty. Like I trusted that with what he did in the first place.... Total turd!

Truth be told, I made out "okay" as the g250 second stage was mint (he wanted that back with the first stage, and I know I'd never see it again), and the DIN would have been useful if I had to ditch the first stage. Parted out, it could have been useful, but I was able to save it. If I routinely dove salt, I would have written it off.

You have to be careful packing MK10s. I've had really good results with mine. I did buy a MK10 that had been poorly packed and did not have the SPEC boot. That one was pretty crusty, mostly a badly corroded piston. Luckily I am the proud co-owner of several NOS MK10 pistons. The ambient chamber wasn't bad at all. All the MK5s and 10s that I've seen with a good job packing are pristine in the chamber, in fact that's what led me to pack my MK10s.

I own mostly piston reg, mainly Atomic and Mk25 for two reasons: 1)my local tech is an expert in piston. 2)I stumbled up on good deal on them. The coldest I have dived is 42F, my pistons haven't given me any issues. Having that said, if I dive colder or in very dirty water, I would have gone with sealed diaphragm.

I dove for over 25 years in the North East US (Maine to NJ but mostly in Ma, RI, NY and NJ) including during the middle of Winter in the Ocean and Dutch Springs in early Spring using SP and Atomic piston regulators (sealed and unsealed versions) without ANY problems at all. (Atomic only since circa 1997/8). I have had more problems with Odin/Jetstream than anything else.

HI! IM WELLING TO CREATE BEST 15 Unsealed Regulator LIST fOR MY BLOG HAPPY TO HEAR NEW SUGGEST AND RECOMMENDATION !!! MANY THANKS

I own several Scubapro MK5. Three of them are with the SPEC system. I and my wife used them diving in alpine lakes under 1m of ice, without any problem.
SPEC rocks, albeit it is a mess of silicon when servicing...

I unsealed my FSR coz was bored and like the look of the smaller size, also makes on the fly servicing or adjusting easier. Not sure about the "difficulty" in cleaning comment, the adjustment screw hole is pretty big.

F98D0154-E5DF-4D80-A413-729D268C56A2.jpeg
A0042F4B-4ED6-4F04-9F47-D1E3961DB82F.jpeg
814671B3-FA90-46B6-8A1D-C19071ABFC8B.jpeg

Last photo was just for self gratification.

I unsealed my FSR coz was bored age like the look of the smaller size, also makes on the fly servicing or adjusting easier. Not sure about the "difficulty" in cleaning comment, the adjustment screw hole is pretty big.

Something similar will do.

Back
Top Bottom