Wreck diving: Connecting yourself to the Anchor line on descending/ascending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Professor Nemo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
***Let me first say that this question is more about gaining information than it is a major problem I am trying to address. The situation, as it currently is, is very manageable. I simply would like more experienced divers to help me correct any misguided notions I may have developed.***

This question concerns the logistics of maintaining control, primarily on the ascent, during a wreck dive. I often dive wrecks here in North Carolina on charters and the recommended (i.e. demanded, but for good reason) technique all divers are supposed to follow is to descend and ascend from the wreck to the boat using the boat’s anchor line. Now, when I bought my equipment I had a limited income, (still do-I’m a broke graduate student and an AI computer will not be in my bought for some time), so I bought a Mares Puck Pro Wrist Mounted Computer and use an SPG. My computer is attached to my right wrist which is also the hand I use to grasp the anchor rope as I ascend. I leave my left hand free to make adjustments to my BC and to check my tank pressure. I have noticed, during ascent, that I often either have to contort my right arm in such a way that my wrist computer is facing me or I constantly have to switch hands as I check/make adjustments during the ascent. (I know that I can turn my computer around so that the screen rests on the inside of my wrist but I often find this an awkward distraction during the dive itself.) This situation made me start thinking if it would be feasible/permissible/asinine to carry a strap of some sort with a large bolt snap on each end whereby I can attach one snap clasp to a D-ring on my BC and the other end could hook on to the anchor line, then I would be able to easily move vertically in the water but which would preclude the danger of me losing my grasp of the rope and being carried off by the current in the middle of my ascent. Is this a dangerous situation? Does it present certain risks? If I have a way to easily disconnect this link either from my BC or the anchor rope, it seems like it would be a simple and efficient fix to my issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Josh

I would not attach anything like that to my BC... What if you have a serious emergency and have to surface quickly? Now you're fumbling with a bolt snap that essentially has you stuck underwater.

Instead maybe you should consider a Jon Line or just keep it simple and the more you dive the more you'll realize this problem will solve itself as you gain experience. I believe the correct technique for situations like this is to hook your arm around the anchor line at the elbow thus giving you both hands free when needed.

Not my video...

Last edited:
I prefer using my spool as a jon line. I attach it to my crotch D-ring so I can access it quickly to adjust it or unclip it in an emergency.

Hello fellow NC diver! I wouldn't strap yourself to the line. There are multiple ways you can skin this cat without needing to invest in any equipment or get yourself in a situation where you might tangle yourself on the ascent line.

1. Glance at your computer every so often. A simple turn of the wrist will do just fine. Switch hands that are holding the line if you need to when you're looking at your computer. You don't have to stare at it every second of the ascent. You should be able to gauge how fast you are ascending and shouldn't need to lock in on that computer. With more experience you will know if you're ascending too fast without staring at your computer the entire time.

2. Turn your computer (as you mentioned). Since I switched to a bungee mount I do this on every ascent, even if i'm not staring at it the entire way up.

3. Hold the line with your other hand. Dump air at intervals with your computer hand or dump the majority of your air before you begin the ascent. If you're properly weighted, you shouldn't need much air in your BCD at the end of your dive.

4. Change your computer to the other hand and still dump air at intervals. I usually wear my computer on the left, hold the line with the right. Dump as needed with my left hand and only glance at my computer every few feet.

During your ascent you should always be controlled and as neutral as possible. If you're neutral then everything will be fairly easy. Dump as needed every few feet, though if you're dumping a LOT of air then you may be over weighted to begin with. With more experience it will all become second nature. My guess is you're a fairly new diver and are probably diving with too much weight.

Good luck, I hope to see you out there on the charters!

I would not attach anything like that to my BC... What if you have a serious emergency and have to surface quickly? Now you're fumbling with a bolt snap that essentially has you stuck underwater.

Instead maybe you should consider a Jon Line or just keep it simple and the more you dive the more you'll realize this problem will solve itself as you gain experience. I believe the correct technique for situations like this is to hook your arm around the anchor line at the elbow thus giving you both hands free when needed.

Not my video...
Thank you, that makes sense.

I prefer using my spool as a jon line. I attach it to my crotch D-ring so I can access it quickly to adjust it or unclip it in an emergency.
Well you have a lot more dives and much more experience to likely handle emergencies...

Hello fellow NC diver! I wouldn't strap yourself to the line. There are multiple ways you can skin this cat without needing to invest in any equipment or get yourself in a situation where you might tangle yourself on the ascent line.

1. Glance at your computer every so often. A simple turn of the wrist will do just fine. Switch hands that are holding the line if you need to when you're looking at your computer. You don't have to stare at it every second of the ascent. You should be able to gauge how fast you are ascending and shouldn't need to lock in on that computer. With more experience you will know if you're ascending too fast without staring at your computer the entire time.

2. Turn your computer (as you mentioned). Since I switched to a bungee mount I do this on every ascent, even if i'm not staring at it the entire way up.

3. Hold the line with your other hand. Dump air at intervals with your computer hand or dump the majority of your air before you begin the ascent. If you're properly weighted, you shouldn't need much air in your BCD at the end of your dive.

4. Change your computer to the other hand and still dump air at intervals. I usually wear my computer on the left, hold the line with the right. Dump as needed with my left hand and only glance at my computer every few feet.

During your ascent you should always be controlled and as neutral as possible. If you're neutral then everything will be fairly easy. Dump as needed every few feet, though if you're dumping a LOT of air then you may be over weighted to begin with. With more experience it will all become second nature. My guess is you're a fairly new diver and are probably diving with too much weight.

Good luck, I hope to see you out there on the charters!
All good advice, thanks. The only thing that precludes me wearing the computer on my left hand is that I'm left handed and I always like keeping it free since I am most dexterous with it. And your right, I'm sure with time this will become a process that is second nature.

Well you have a lot more dives and much more experience to likely handle emergencies...
Fortunately I've never had to test my readiness. I like to keep things simple in the water. I used to carry a jon line in my pocket for wreck dives but found that it is sometimes difficult to get it out in a current and sometimes comes out in a tangled mess. I finally switched to using a spool which allowed me to slide it up the anchor line easily. It also allows me to unclip at the end of my deco stops without having to swim to the line where other divers may be clustered.

I wear my PDC in a normal fashion and flip it to the inside of my wrist when I start my ascent. I descend too quickly to manage any tie in and don't feel I need one on the ascent either.

Sometimes wreck diving involves long stops. It's easier to rest on a jon line than to kick in place for thirty minutes or more. Sometimes I would even fold my arms on the jon line and lay my head down for a few minutes to rest. I've been known to even sing entire albums to myself to make the time less boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom