Hi, from Orlando, Florida.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viajobian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, im from Puerto Rico and just moved to Orlando, FL. I havent been in the water for a while and need it desperately. Need a partner to show me the Florida diving. Never been diving in the States. Looking forward for some really good dives!!

Welcome. I don't live near you. What sort of diving are you out to do? Florida has a very diverse range. Freshwater springs, caves, shallow reefs, deeper reefs, deep wrecks, deep ledges with larger creatures... To help others help you, what kind of dive experience are you looking for? Shallow or deep, fresh or salt, reef or wreck, is seeing 'big stuff' a big deal?

Upper Florida Keys - shallow reef diving over flat bottom, with added option for deep wreck diving (e.g.: Spiegel Grove, Duane). Key Largo trip report.

Fort Lauderdale/Pompano.

Miami - I'm told has wreck diving?

Boynton Beach.

West Palm Beach.

Jupiter - deep diving, lower viz. than some places, known for bigger animals - lemon sharks in winter/early spring, goliath grouper in Fall (trip report). For those so inclined, shark feed diving (trip report).

Blue Heron Bridge - very shallow muck diving with impressive diversity of life, dove around high tide once daily.

And that's just working up the southeast coast from the upper Keys. Never mind the panhandle, the wreck of the Oriskany, etc...

Richard.

Hi Richard ,

thanks for the message.

Im up to anything really. I heard about some wrecks in Tampa. Would love to see those. Also some reefs, the Urca de Lima?

People who dive that area can give you direct info. I hear the east coast described as the 'cobalt coast,' and the west coast described as the 'emerald coast,' which from what I understand tends to have lower viz. than some of the mainstream east coast diving? Be interesting to see how others who've done both compare the two.

Richard.

Hi Viajobian and welcome to SB! You're in the right area for lots of diving opportunities and plenty of scuba clubs. Best of luck and safe diving!

howdy and welcome from your southeast florida neighbor....a lot of Orlando scuba groups and dive shops in your area get together for dive trips to southeast florida...see you on the boats.

People who dive that area can give you direct info. I hear the east coast described as the 'cobalt coast,' and the west coast described as the 'emerald coast,' which from what I understand tends to have lower viz. than some of the mainstream east coast diving? Be interesting to see how others who've done both compare the two.
Heh, I've lived here all my life and I'm not familiar with those terms. However it's immediately obvious why someone would call the areas such. West coast (gulf of mexico) has green water. I'm guessing algae related due to less flow and fertilizer runoff but I don't really know for sure. East coast (Atlantic Ocean) has blue ocean water with tons of flow due to the gulf stream. I live 10 minutes from the gulf coast and usuaully make the drive across to the Atlantic for my diving. I just prefer it. That said, I have had some great dives in the Gulf of Mexico. The USS CGC Mohawk wreck stands out as my personal favorite Gulf dive.

@Viajobian If I were you I'd be looking at dives on the east coast, from the Jupiter Inlet to west palm beach.

There are two shore dives that I know of in that area (free!); Blue Heron Bridge and Lauderadle By the Sea. BHB is by far the better dive, and is one of the best dives you could ask for imo. LBTS has a nice little town with a street festival every weekend, if drinking and partying are interesting to you.

I think there is some diving in between west palm beach and Lauderdale by the Sea (not Fort Lauderdale), but I've never done any in that area.

Last edited:
Heh, I've lived here all my life and I'm not familiar with those terms.

Just to round it out, when I was in Morehead City, North Carolina, I learned that area was called the Crystal Coast.

Richard.

Heh, I've lived here all my life and I'm not familiar with those terms. However it's immediately obvious why someone would call the areas such. West coast (gulf of mexico) has green water. I'm guessing algae related due to less flow and fertilizer runoff but I don't really know for sure. East coast (Atlantic Ocean) has blue ocean water with tons of flow due to the gulf stream. I live 10 minutes from the gulf coast and usuaully make the drive across to the Atlantic for my diving. I just prefer it. That said, I have had some great dives in the Gulf of Mexico. The USS CGC Mohawk wreck stands out as my personal favorite Gulf dive.

@Viajobian If I were you I'd be looking at dives on the east coast, from the Jupiter Inlet to west palm beach.

There are two shore dives that I know of in that area (free!); Blue Heron Bridge and Lauderadle By the Sea. BHB is by far the better dive, and is one of the best dives you could ask for imo. LBTS has a nice little town with a street festival every weekend, if drinking and partying are interesting to you.

I think there is some diving in between west palm beach and Lauderdale by the Sea (not Fort Lauderdale), but I've never done any in that area.

Nice. I will definitely look the USS CGC Mohawk up. I love wreck diving.

Thanks for the suggestions. Probably i will start diving the Blue Heron Bridge. Free shore dives does sounds good!
After that i will plan a trip to they Keys.

Back
Top Bottom