New Austin bubbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boaty McBoatface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I got certified many years ago but didn't stay with it. I'm back! I decided to play it safe and just did a full certification course rather than a refresher course. So, that either makes me a new, old diver or an old, new diver; not sure which.
Looking forward to making bubbles with some of you!

Welcome to SB. Where did you go for your cert.? Are you planning on diving locally?

Hi,
My original certification years ago was PADI and in Dallas. My recent re-cert was SSI, here in Austin, with Tom's Dive & Swim. I also took a Nitrox class at Tom's.

I would very much like to practice and stay current with local diving. I'd like to meet others interested in such practice -- whether that's other new people or more advanced, patient mentors.

To that end, I've signed up for the Blue Lagoon dive (organized by Tom's) this upcoming weekend, but I couldn't make it to their Bubble Hour tonight (bummed). I looked at Divebuddy as a way to meet people, but it appeared like it's a nearly dead website that people don't use much anymore (not around here, at least). I also stumbled on a Facebook group with a little activity on it. And, I saw that there's a school out at Lake Travis that says on their website that they take a boat out every weekend -- but, when I contacted them on their web form about joining in I never got a response, so for all I know their website is a tombstone for a dead business. Scubaland doesn't seem to organize anything, so that's a dead end (one of the reasons I didn't re-train with them). There are a couple of Meetup groups in Austin with nothing imminent scheduled that I could see. And, I know that there are some folks down in San Marcos/San Antonio, but I haven't investigated that far afield, yet.

Did I miss anything? (Sure hope so! :)
Thx

My wive and I will be out at LT this weekend. Sunday or Monday depending on the weather. We did OW with Tom's. Most of our diving has been in Cozumel but we plan to do a lot around here this summer.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I could join you all sometime, if you don't mind a newbie. 2-3 weeks ago the water was cool (69-71°/5mm) but the visibility was (I'm told) good for Lake Travis (~25').

Was Gary your instructor? The water is up to 75 and probably 76 on monday. I'd like to meet up sometime perhaps sooner than later. www.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

Welcome to Scubaboard. Given your choices, Tom's is the shop I would do business with in Austin.

When you get some more dives in, take a look at getting certified to dive in Spring Lake.

Welcome. Got any dive travel plans yet? Given the huge array of possible choices, I've got a few suggestions on possibilities with a new diver in mind...

1.) Cozumel - for warm water, excellent viz., varied underwater topography, a variety of life and overall 'budget' trip cost. Factor airfare into that.

2.) Turquoise Bay Resort, Roatan - seems to be a popular, well-spoken of budget trip option with a lot of good dives in a week.

3.) Bonaire - if you travel with a group, and they can show you the ropes for the abundant shore diving. Airfare runs the cost up.

4.) Key Largo - pack some people into a room, use Rainbow Reef Dive Center where the guide's included in the price, and take advance of a multi-trip package deal and you get get a lot of diving in. Trip report.

If you decide living on a big boat for a week sounds great, then live-aboard options weigh in...

Richard.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Given your choices, Tom's is the shop I would do business with in Austin.

When you get some more dives in, take a look at getting certified to dive in Spring Lake.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Welcome. Got any dive travel plans yet? Given the huge array of possible choices, I've got a few suggestions on possibilities with a new diver in mind...

1.) Cozumel - for warm water, excellent viz., varied underwater topography, a variety of life and overall 'budget' trip cost. Factor airfare into that.

2.) Turquoise Bay Resort, Roatan - seems to be a popular, well-spoken of budget trip option with a lot of good dives in a week.

3.) Bonaire - if you travel with a group, and they can show you the ropes for the abundant shore diving. Airfare runs the cost up.

4.) Key Largo - pack some people into a room, use Rainbow Reef Dive Center where the guide's included in the price, and take advance of a multi-trip package deal and you get get a lot of diving in. Trip report.

If you decide living on a big boat for a week sounds great, then live-aboard options weigh in...

Richard.

Funny you should mention trips!... :)
A friend is getting married in Maui soon. Rumor has it, there's an ocean somewhere nearby.

Beyond that, I was looking online at the various dive trips organized by local shops. I expect it's cheaper to roll your own trip rather than buy a tour package, but I don't have a dive cadre to tour with as yet, and I'm green, so I was thinking an organized trip might be a good way to meet some local divers while I Iearn the ropes. Would you agree, or do people often travel to these places solo?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom