Fort Wetherill Viz - what gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello @CT-Rich, @AfterDark and @Resqdivemedic! Hope everyone's spring has been good. I was wondering if any of you would be diving this weekend and wouldn't mind a tag along? I ended up with a 4 day weekend (starting Friday) and have been anxious to get into the water. I will warn anyone who is interested that I got tired of renting so I have an all new kit, which means I need to do a major weight check that day. Look forward to hearing from any of you, even if your not going this weekend.

Erik

Hello @CT-Rich, @AfterDark and @Resqdivemedic! Hope everyone's spring has been good. I was wondering if any of you would be diving this weekend and wouldn't mind a tag along? I ended up with a 4 day weekend (starting Friday) and have been anxious to get into the water. I will warn anyone who is interested that I got tired of renting so I have an all new kit, which means I need to do a major weight check that day. Look forward to hearing from any of you, even if your not going this weekend.

Erik

Erik, I'm thinking about either sat or sun not sure when or where yet. I think tides are high 1030 am and 1115 am those days. I'd like newport but the traffic will suck memorial day wkn. Maybe early I'll beat it on the way in at least and you can do your weight check. Send me a message with contact info I'll contact you. AD

Hey Erik,
Would love to head out this weekend but have other plans. I would probably figure that the vis may not be to good due to the 2 days of rain. If I was able to go it wouldn't stop me anyway. Maybe we could hook up later in the summer.
Dive Safe

Hey if you looking for another diver for the group give me a shout. I'm about 50 minutes away from FTW. This weekend is probably a no go!

Dive 2060 5-27-17 Saturday Ft Adams East passage 1st dive of 2017

Partly cloudy to cloudy / N wind 7mph calm, boat wakes only. Visibility poor <10’ water temp 55 bot temp 53 max depth, 25FSW, BT 28min. Used 2000psi 21% / dry suit, slack hi tide. dive buddy Erik
Saw very little life, small flat fish, more than a few dead crabs. Tide changed quickly, turned early. Good shakedown dive.

Not the most exciting dive ever but a good enough to start the season. Made a few pre-dive mistakes that will not repeat until maybe next year, 1st dive acclamation is done.

Erik enjoyed diving with you hope to do it again soon!

Dive 2061 5-28-17 Sunday FTW Sandy Bottom Cove west side.

Partly to mostly cloudy, SE winds 12MPH water temp 55F Bot temp 51F, visibility <10fsw max depth 25FSW BT 41min. tide out going, dive buddies Rich and Mike.

Swam underwater to the west side of the cove, turned South for a few min. them turned back and followed the shoreline back. Saw lots of small bait fish and one tog that was almost legal size. One very big horseshoe crab was ambling along the bottom. Not too many divers for a MD weekend Sunday!

Last edited:
The western side of the Sandy Cove was much better than the eastern walll, which was very turbid. When diving around 11:00 am, with my daughter and another buddy, Mike, we followed the western shore then navigated back across to the eastern wall for the dive back. Approaching the wall Visibility dropped from 8-10' to less than five as we reach the rocks. Mike was snagged by a fisherman that I never saw and had two cut the line in about 50 places to get him clear. One hook was in his dry suit and another was in the float line at the end of the dive. Another diver said visibility was better in West Cove, but I wasn't in the mood to schlep gear down the hill.

Thanks for the posts. On a weekend the fisherman are usually out on the area you described. I hope to see an end to this crappy weather and some warmer temps. Hope to get out in June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom