Classes to become a better recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver education can be divided into 5 main categories:

1. Watermanship
2. Skills emphasized
3. Knowledge emphasized
4. Safety
5. Experience

Watermanship courses will help you improve your comfort and physical endurance in the water. Not all watermanship courses are scuba certification courses. Snorkeling/freediving courses, lifeguard courses, swim lessons, gym fitness programs, various watersports such as surfing, water polo, etc., all can help make you a better diver if you lack fitness or comfort in the water, especially in rough ocean conditions.

One of the most valuable courses I ever took was the semester-long American Red Cross Advanced Lifesaving/WSI course for a phys ed credit as a freshman in college. It was brutal! Lots of swimming, towing victims until you think you can't do it anymore, and getting beaten and even bloody. That brutality served me well when I've wiped out in big waves on my surfboard, whenever I swallowed water or vomited while diving, when I've made ocean surf or diving rescues, and even a technical rescue where the victim fought me most of the way from depth to the surface.

Courses that emphasize skills attempt to foster control and finesse. Various recreational courses such as PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy, PSAI's ABC, the GUE Primer, or even NSS-CDS Cavern might not ask you to make major modifications to your recreational equipment. You may just add a long hose or make no changes at all. Other courses such as GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials, or an intro to tech class may ask you to adopt a backplate and wing. If you are seeking to learn propulsion techniques beyond those commonly required for recreational diving, PSAI's ABC, UTD Essentials, and GUE Fundies require modified flutter kicks, frog kicks, modified frog kicks, helicopter turns, backward kicks, and basic skills performed in horizontal trim.

GUE-F changed my life. On one hand, I learned a lot. On the other hand, I had bad experiences which found me seeking info from other tech/cave sources. It was the total sum of the parts that led to me becoming a solid diver and having the background to become the training director for 2 agencies

Knowledge based courses such as nitrox, marine life I.D., ratio decompression, etc., may require no dives or the diving skill of the student is not the focus of the course. These rarely help you to be better in the water unless the instructor chooses to add dives and is a tough critic. Underwater basket weaving could be the best course in the world in the right hands. Some of these knowledge courses might be the sort you get from attending a seminar at a trade show such as Beneath the Sea or from taking advantage of the online seminars you can access with a DAN membership.

Safety courses attempt to save lives; either yours or someone else's. These might be obvious like rescue, but even cavern courses and wreck penetration courses may be considered safety courses because you learn techniques that can save your life or another's in an overhead.

Finally, experience is often a great teacher. The biggest problem in diving is finding the right people to coach, train or mentor you. Most people on the board would agree that GUE and UTD have a certain higher level of quality control because of the standardized diving equipment, techniques and instructor development. For some Fundies was where the fun began for others it was where the FUN DIES. Looking good underwater doesn't make you a great diver. It means you look good underwater and such skills might help you be a better diver because you gain maneuverability like a helicopter which is really handy for delivering gas to an out of gas buddy, running a reel, or performing various tasks. I equate recreational style diving to fixed-wing flight vs. helos in tech diving. Pound for pound helicopters can do more than airplanes, but airplanes often do what they do either faster or with a greater fun factor.

A good diver is someone who dives safely and responsibly. Whatever paths you seek try to never forget why you started diving. Try to always foster good relationships within the diving community and with land owners and others who can help us access dive sites. Protect our natural, cultural and historic resources. Don't just strive to be a good diver. Strive to be the best diver in the world. Know who the best diver in the world is? The one having the most fun!

Diver education can be divided into 5 main categories:

1. Watermanship
2. Skills emphasized
3. Knowledge emphasized
4. Safety
5. Experience

Watermanship courses will help you improve your comfort and physical endurance in the water. Not all watermanship courses are scuba certification courses. Snorkeling/freediving courses, lifeguard courses, swim lessons, gym fitness programs, various watersports such as surfing, water polo, etc., all can help make you a better diver if you lack fitness or comfort in the water, especially in rough ocean conditions.

One of the most valuable courses I ever took was the semester-long American Red Cross Advanced Lifesaving/WSI course for a phys ed credit as a freshman in college. It was brutal! Lots of swimming, towing victims until you think you can't do it anymore, and getting beaten and even bloody. That brutality served me well when I've wiped out in big waves on my surfboard, whenever I swallowed water or vomited while diving, when I've made ocean surf or diving rescues, and even a technical rescue where the victim fought me most of the way from depth to the surface.

Courses that emphasize skills attempt to foster control and finesse. Various recreational courses such as PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy, PSAI's ABC, the GUE Primer, or even NSS-CDS Cavern might not ask you to make major modifications to your recreational equipment. You may just add a long hose or make no changes at all. Other courses such as GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials, or an intro to tech class may ask you to adopt a backplate and wing. If you are seeking to learn propulsion techniques beyond those commonly required for recreational diving, PSAI's ABC, UTD Essentials, and GUE Fundies require modified flutter kicks, frog kicks, modified frog kicks, helicopter turns, backward kicks, and basic skills performed in horizontal trim.

GUE-F changed my life. On one hand, I learned a lot. On the other hand, I had bad experiences which found me seeking info from other tech/cave sources. It was the total sum of the parts that led to me becoming a solid diver and having the background to become the training director for 2 agencies

Knowledge based courses such as nitrox, marine life I.D., ratio decompression, etc., may require no dives or the diving skill of the student is not the focus of the course. These rarely help you to be better in the water unless the instructor chooses to add dives and is a tough critic. Underwater basket weaving could be the best course in the world in the right hands. Some of these knowledge courses might be the sort you get from attending a seminar at a trade show such as Beneath the Sea or from taking advantage of the online seminars you can access with a DAN membership.

Safety courses attempt to save lives; either yours or someone else's. These might be obvious like rescue, but even cavern courses and wreck penetration courses may be considered safety courses because you learn techniques that can save your life or another's in an overhead.

Finally, experience is often a great teacher. The biggest problem in diving is finding the right people to coach, train or mentor you. Most people on the board would agree that GUE and UTD have a certain higher level of quality control because of the standardized diving equipment, techniques and instructor development. For some Fundies was where the fun began for others it was where the FUN DIES. Looking good underwater doesn't make you a great diver. It means you look good underwater and such skills might help you be a better diver because you gain maneuverability like a helicopter which is really handy for delivering gas to an out of gas buddy, running a reel, or performing various tasks. I equate recreational style diving to fixed-wing flight vs. helos in tech diving. Pound for pound helicopters can do more than airplanes, but airplanes often do what they do either faster or with a greater fun factor.

A good diver is someone who dives safely and responsibly. Whatever paths you seek try to never forget why you started diving. Try to always foster good relationships within the diving community and with land owners and others who can help us access dive sites. Protect our natural, cultural and historic resources. Don't just strive to be a good diver. Strive to be the best diver in the world. Know who the best diver in the world is? The one having the most fun!

Totally agree with the above.

PPB, Cavern, GUE, or UTD -to learn to swim, control and position yourself underwater efficiently.

Rescue -to learn to anticipate and prevent the need for a rescue

Solo -because you travel alone and never know what to expect from instabuddies or even a divemaster/dive guide

Solo is a good course. I did the SDI course with my TDI cave instructor. I'd classify solo as a safety course as well. When I created the tech and cave solo courses for PDIC many in the tech/cave community saw that as encouraging solo diving when the point of the programs were to help divers determine their personal limits for task-loading and stress while introducing them to skills that ran the gamut from watermanship and confidence to better finesse while tasked.

While rumor has it that cats do not appreciate this: there is more than one way to skin a cat.

There are usually more than one path you can pick to get to the top of the mountain.

There is simply no ONE class or one instructor that will the magic, perfect improvement class, that makes all further training unnecessary.
This is not a One And Done proposition.
There have been many, many good suggestions in this thread, but an individual diver just being WILLING to keep practicing, keep training, keep learning and improving is the one most necessary ingredient to continual improvement.

The fact that you seek to improve assures that you will improve.

TDI Intro to Tech minimum requirements:
  • Execute proper gear selection and preparation as well as buddy gas matching
  • Mastery of S.T.A.R.T, trim, finning techniques, body positioning, and diver skills
  • Overall demonstration of mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution

What is S.T.A.R.T? I searched online & even searched the TDI site. It is not listed on the TDI site except for the Intro class. lol

What is S.T.A.R.T? I searched online & even searched the TDI site. It is not listed on the TDI site except for the Intro class. lol

I just finished my TDI Intro to Cave, so let's see if I learned my lesson well ^^

S.T.A.R.T. is a pre-dive check (in addition to buddy check/head-to-toe), and it goes:
S: S-drill (deploy long hose, check if not stuck, etc.)
T: Team (who's doing what, role of each team member).
A: Air (or rather gas: what are you breathing, planning, etc.)
R: Route (where we are planning on going, etc.)
T: Tables (in case of deco dives. For me, it amounted to : No Deco).

@MelasLithos got it. With the exception of the S-drill (which you actually perform), it's just the acronym for the checklist to ensure that you and your buddy have thoroughly planned the dive.

Interesting that it's not listed for the other courses. Maybe they understand that as you progress through the tech courses, you'll learn to keep employing it. We did this all the way through TDI's trimix course.

Oh yeah, and "bubble check" belongs in the S-drill category. With the bubble check, after you and your buddy splash and drop down 10 or 15', you each do a check to ensure that your buddy's rig does not have a small leak somewhere. This is especially important for the 1st stages, tank valves, etc. where you cannot see it yourself.

After years of diving solo, the bubble check seemed unnecessary. After all, I never had a leak that caused me to loose a noticeable amount of gas on my dive. Then on the second dive of my advanced nitrox course, my DIN fitting sprung a leak. It was slow enough that I didn't hear it, but was leaking enough that it would have cut my dive short. By discovering it at the start of the dive, it was easy to fix the problem and then make the dive. On a training dive a year later, I sprung another DIN leak (finally figured out the cause of the problem) and another diver in our team had an SPG that was leaking.

Here was my take away: If you think that some aspect of your training is unnecessary, just declare it so. Murphy will then show you why it's important! :D

What I would suggest is to dive with buddies who are a LOT better than you and willing to mentor. Nothing will help your diving "level up" faster than that.
Best answer! Come join us at Ginnie Springs for a mega dive or two. Lots of good mentoring there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom