Looking to get into doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highly recommend Intro to Tech. The TDI version is more a less a 'doubles primer' course.
Ok, since this is offered locally I'll talk to the LDS and see if it's a good fit.

Would it be redundant to still take GUE Fundies next year? I guess not, just curious about opinions.

I have no idea what the cost is for you to take in intro class, but you should evaluate the benefit of more time and different instructors to expand your knowledge base. If you have a good instructor, you very likely will learn something from them even if it is the identical class taught by different people (no idea about GUE program however).

Outside of GUE I'm not really seeing any "intro to doubles" type classes so not sure how one would go about getting the proper training to use them. There is an SDI "intro to tech" class local to me, but it seems like it would have a lot of overlapping content as GUE Fundies which I'm hoping to do next year (ideally on doubles). So how does one go about learning and training on this setup?

There is a pretty good chance you're going to take fundies and then have to come back to do a tech upgrade. I'd just do fundies in rented doubles and then work on those skills and when ready do a tech upgrade.

Would it be redundant to still take GUE Fundies next year? I guess not, just curious about opinions.

Do you plan on taking any of the GUE technical training like tech 1 or cave 1, if so you're going to need to fundies.

Find a few buddies that have done Fundies, and see if they will mentor you until you do the class.
Worked for me.

Do you plan on taking any of the GUE technical training like tech 1 or cave 1, if so you're going to need to fundies.
Right now, no, but who knows in the future. I'm primarily interested in fundies to become a better diver, I was AOW certified 23 years ago and while I try to keep up so much has changed. I'd love a rigorous course to boost skills.

Second reason for fundies is there's a class that fits my schedule perfectly on an upcoming trip.

Right now, no, but who knows in the future. I'm primarily interested in fundies to become a better diver, I was AOW certified 23 years ago and while I try to keep up so much has changed. I'd love a rigorous course to boost skills.

Second reason for fundies is there's a class that fits my schedule perfectly on an upcoming trip.
Do the Fundies. Best bang for your buck.

Do the Fundies. Best bang for your buck.
Ah you know I think I missed a detail--fundies would be in January, I can do it single tank or on doubles but the instructor suggested I get doubles experience first if thats the direction I want to go.

So that's when I started looking around for an intro to doubles course and finding none, led me to start this thread. I think to get the most out of fundies I'll want to go in being comfortable with my setup. So I can either get practice/training before and do the course in doubles, or just do it single. I'd prefer to do doubles though.

Getting doubles rigged properly and to your liking is overlooked as one of the more important aspects of transitioning to doubles. An experienced mentor or instructor doing the type of diving that you aspire to can be more valuable helping you achieve the perfect configuration than you can imagine. I dove with some of the top names in the game, and was learning configuration tips from them for years after I was considered to be a "finished" tech diver. I've also seen some folks who were supposed to be good tech divers whose rig looked like a dog's breakfast, gear and hoses sticking out everywhere. Find a mentor.

Ah you know I think I missed a detail--fundies would be in January, I can do it single tank or on doubles but the instructor suggested I get doubles experience first if thats the direction I want to go.

So that's when I started looking around for an intro to doubles course and finding none, led me to start this thread. I think to get the most out of fundies I'll want to go in being comfortable with my setup. So I can either get practice/training before and do the course in doubles, or just do it single. I'd prefer to do doubles though.
I did Fundies with doubles and maybe a dozen dives on them....

Another thing to consider with doubles is getting the right tanks for your body size. I bought a set of LP98's, started the course, and it was pointed out that my terrible trim(face-planting) was because the tanks were too short on my lanky 6'4" frame. I borrowed a set of al80s(with a tail weight) and trim instantly improved.
If possible, try as many different sets of tanks as you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom