Looking to get into doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not ready or willing to get into tech diving, but the kind of diving I've been doing lately requires a redundant air source. Slinging pony bottles kinda sucks, and most of the people I'm diving with are on doubles. I think I'd like to work toward making that shift.

Outside of GUE I'm not really seeing any "intro to doubles" type classes so not sure how one would go about getting the proper training to use them. There is an SDI "intro to tech" class local to me, but it seems like it would have a lot of overlapping content as GUE Fundies which I'm hoping to do next year (ideally on doubles). So how does one go about learning and training on this setup?

You mentioned the only methods I know of. GUE or intro to tech from one of the other agencies.

I'm not ready or willing to get into tech diving, but the kind of diving I've been doing lately requires a redundant air source. Slinging pony bottles kinda sucks, and most of the people I'm diving with are on doubles. I think I'd like to work toward making that shift.

Outside of GUE I'm not really seeing any "intro to doubles" type classes so not sure how one would go about getting the proper training to use them. There is an SDI "intro to tech" class local to me, but it seems like it would have a lot of overlapping content as GUE Fundies which I'm hoping to do next year (ideally on doubles). So how does one go about learning and training on this setup?

Do some initial research about what tanks are right for you (rig balancing), buy them and start diving them shallow or in a pool. Learn s-drill and shutdowns/v-drill via YouTube.

There are a couple small differences but nothing insurmountable. I'm rec diving backmounted doubles in prep for tech courses and it's been fine.

Are you seriously telling someone to move into doubles without proper training just youtube videos? Worst advice in diving, just watch YouTube and try it.

Are you seriously telling someone to move into doubles without proper training just youtube videos? Worst advice in diving, just watch YouTube and try it.

What critical training topics are covered outside of proper rig balance and shutdowns/v-drill that impact safety when diving doubles?

Going from a backmount single to rec diving backmounted doubles isn't exactly a huge leap. It's not as though this is about going from OC to CC.

Its not like throwing pair of doubles on you back as opposed to a single bottle changes a lot. To fully utilise the doubles is another thing, but I fail to see the reason one would need training to change what type of bottles one dive with?0

NAUI also has an intro to tech equipment configuration mini. It is a prerequisite to their program.

I was already diving a BP/W and using a long hose/bungied octo for single tank. I took it to verify my shoulder mobility issues wouldn't prevent me from diving doubles..

What critical training topics are covered outside of proper rig balance and shutdowns that impact safety when diving doubles?

Going from a backmount single to rec diving backmounted doubles isn't exactly a huge leap. It's not as though this is about going from OC to CC.

Valve drills, long hose use and deployment etc.

As far as new stuff my doubles transition involved more than my CCR transition. CCR was and is mostly getting used to new bounancy control.

Valve drills, long hose use and deployment etc.

As far as new stuff my doubles transition involved more than my CCR transition. CCR was and is mostly getting used to new bounancy control.

I learned v-drill and s-drill from YouTube and successfully perform both with other divers/to the satisfaction of my dive buddies. This shouldn't be a limiter. Glad to hear there isn't some huge thing I've missed that is waiting to bite me down deep.

I understand that you have your personal experience, and that's cool. I have mine too. We're both still alive and diving safely, so, that means we're differing in opinion. That's fine.

Back
Top Bottom