wetsuit/rash guard for tropical waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the 1.5mm wetsuit. Thick enough for a little warmth and protection, but thin enough not to mess with my buoyancy. NeoTech makes a good one that is super stretchy and easy to don and doft.

@dmaziuk ... I'm bringing 80 spf lol..I don't want to burn the first day and be miserable the rest of the week

I live in the tropics so I'm used to the high humidity. I dive a full 3mm. Full because of stingers 3mm because it is easier to cool off than warm up in the water. Some dives I could get away with just a stingers suit but most of my diving is flying to other tropical destinations and it would be one more thing to carry. I put sunscreen on my arms because I burn easy and just strip back the top half of the wet suit put on a t shirt and get a shady spot on the boat to avoid over heating during SI.

I will dive a 3mm down to 20c on a warm day with only 1 day of diving.

My wife (5'2" & 130#) prefers her 3mm (full) and will be using that in a couple of weeks in West Palm Beach, current water temp is 77 degrees. I, on the other hand, will probably just use a long sleeve rash guard and a bathing suit or shorts. The difference? I'm 6'1" and 270#, and don't get cold easily - I usually don't bother with a wetsuit unless it's about 72 degrees. Yet in October, she wants a 5 mil, and I'm still comfortable in a rash guard and shorts.
So, it really is about your tolerance, how many dives, etc. - the best advice is to be prepared for the colder temperatures of deeper water.
This might help: Palm Beach Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (NSW - Sydney North Coast, Australia) there's a ton of info out there for you to find.

KevinL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom