Petrel 2 EXT CCR bailout procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long-John-Silver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have two Petrel 2: one as controller tied to my SF2 and a Petrel 2 EXT connected via fisher cable.
Both have the second to last firmware update (IIRC the last one just introduce new language translations).

While experimenting with the bailout procedures on my SF2 Petrel controller I found a behavior that it seems to be different from what the shearwater user manual states. Hereafter an example.

On System setup menu I have:

CC gases
  1. 18/45 ON
OC gases
  1. 99% ON
  2. A 50/30 ON
  3. 18/45 ON

The A symbol should indicate the Active gas. Unfortunately IMHO user manual does not states exactly how to switch the A among the ON gases. Nevertheless, after playing a little bit with the menu, switching ON/OFF my gases I can set the A on the desired one. For my test I deliberately chose to have the A on the 50/30.

During the dive, I go on bailout i.e. at 40m/120ft

I select CC > OC and the computer brings me as default gas choice the 50/30 !
Of course I can press the left button getting the SELECT menu and I can change gas...

Actually, reading the Petrel user manual I find:

When switching to open circuit while diving, the most appropriate open circuit gas will become the breathing gas for calculations. At this point, the diver may want to switch to a different gas, but since the diver may have other things to deal with, the computer will make a “best guess” of which gas the diver would choose.

Furthermore there is another mention on CC > OC procedure:

After physically switching the BOV or mouthpiece, the computer needs to be set to OC mode for proper deco calculations. Two presses on MENU brings up the "SWITCH CC -> OC" menu. Pressing SELECT makes the change. Note that the loop PPO2 continues to display. This is important in case the diver later needs to go back onto the loop. Also note that "OC" is displayed in yellow to indicate the bailout condition.The best OC gas was automatically selected, and the deco schedule has been adjusted based on the OC gases.

Basically I would expect that going on OC at 40m/120ft the best OC gas based on my configuration would be the 18/45 not the 50%. Again going OC at 10m/30ft it should be the 50%.

While being perfectly capable to manage bailout scenarios, instructions found on user manual doesn't seem to fit in the real behavior of the device.
In my experience, my two Petrel always switch to "A" gas regardless of the bailout depth.

What I'm missing?

Thank you in advance

PS
On the user's manual "complex example" it bailout at 30m and the DC switch to air 21% but it has the A active gas on it.

Hi Long John Silver,

I am sorry about the trouble you have had operating the Petrel. Hopefully we can resolve this issue together.

The A symbol should indicate the Active gas. Unfortunately IMHO user manual does not states exactly how to switch the A among the ON gases. Nevertheless, after playing a little bit with the menu, switching ON/OFF my gases I can set the A on the desired one. For my test I deliberately chose to have the A on the 50/30.

The System Menu does not have the ability to switch the active gas. The intended way to change active gas is by using the "Select Gas" menu from the main screen. While it is technically possibly to change the active gas by turning on and off gases in the System Setup menu, it is not really intended to be operated in such a manner.

During the dive, I go on bailout i.e. at 40m/120ft

I select CC > OC and the computer brings me as default gas choice the 50/30 !

I am unable to recreate this problem. I have tried dive tests on several units and they behaved as intended. That is, they automatically chose the enabled gas with the highest PPO2 less than 'OC Deco PPO2' (a setting in the Adv. Config 2 menu).

Note that you won't be able to test this behavior on the surface, since on the surface it will just change to the active gas and not make any automatic changes.

Can you please send the full "Version" number as seen by pressing the right button a few times (e.g. 4020037)? This will let us try to recreate the problem with your exact setup. Also, please check the 'OC Deco PPO2' value in the Adv Conf 2 menu, I recommend leaving at the default value of 1.61. The final thing to double check would be that all gases are turned on before the dive.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for your reply.
The instrument can operate in several different modes: ccr, oc etc. Maybe I'm mixing up things in the user manual. Be patient.

Hi Long John Silver,

I am sorry about the trouble you have had operating the Petrel. Hopefully we can resolve this issue together.

The System Menu does not have the ability to switch the active gas. The intended way to change active gas is by using the "Select Gas" menu from the main screen. While it is technically possibly to change the active gas by turning on and off gases in the System Setup menu, it is not really intended to be operated in such a manner.
Ok
Given that I always have just one CC gas enabled I never felt to use "select gas" from the main screen. If I change diluent I simply put the old one OFF and enable the new one. The A symbol moves accordingly.
Same behavior if I change bailout/deco set. Here the procedure is tricky because I have up to 4 gases. The A symbol moves randomly based on my ON/OFF sequence.
Furthermore given that I'm doing a CCR dive, having a OC active gas should be pointless: as you said it should automagically choose the best gas among those enabled.
So what does it mean A in the OC list while the computer is in CCR mode?

I am unable to recreate this problem. I have tried dive tests on several units and they behaved as intended. That is, they automatically chose the enabled gas with the highest PPO2 less than 'OC Deco PPO2' (a setting in the Adv. Config 2 menu).

Note that you won't be able to test this behavior on the surface, since on the surface it will just change to the active gas and not make any automatic changes.

Can you please send the full "Version" number as seen by pressing the right button a few times (e.g. 4020037)? This will let us try to recreate the problem with your exact setup. Also, please check the 'OC Deco PPO2' value in the Adv Conf 2 menu, I recommend leaving at the default value of 1.61. The final thing to double check would be that all gases are turned on before the dive.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Everything in those menu is at default.
I sent you the info you requested plus other menu.

This weekend I will try again and I'll let you know.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20170601_143624.jpg
    20170601_143624.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170601_143115.jpg
    20170601_143115.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170601_143026.jpg
    20170601_143026.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
Trying to put and end to this meme :) last weekend, me and my buddy made a factory reset of our petrel customizing everything again.
It worked as expected. I don't know what was wrong but now everything is ok.

Still it would be nice having an explanation of the Active gas while in CCR mode.

IMG-20170602-WA0020.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom