The End of Tobermory?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah hah: if I want a seasonal $100 parking pass I have to appear *in person* between 8:30Am and 4:30pm *Monday through Friday* in freaking Lions Head?!?!?

Well, it is on the way.....

So you have to take time off work to get there before 4:30pm, not well thought out.

Apparently from talking to one of the dive shops, two hours will be extended to 3, better but still screws up charters.

So you have to take time off work to get there before 4:30pm, not well thought out.

Try it from my home....

(Buffalo)

Hah hah: if I want a seasonal $100 parking pass I have to appear *in person* between 8:30Am and 4:30pm *Monday through Friday* in freaking Lions Head?!?!?
I bought mine at the Harbormaster's office in Little Tub when I got my Launch Ramp pass...Just got back from a 17 day trip there. Passes are only available to Ontario Residents and I saved an estimated $57.00 in the time I was there based on the $3.00/hour rate...also means if I didn't have a pass I would have spent $150+ on parking mostly in a dirt lot (Hay Bay Road trailer lot) in just over 2 weeks on the days that we launched the boat and parked the truck and trailer. We only went to the Tub 2 times...once for an ice cream and once to Craigie's for whitefish and fries, way less than we would normally do.
Parks Canada is also starting a 4 hour user time slot for the likes of Cypress Lake, starting July you are limited to a single 4 hour time slot is you want to go to that part of the park for the day so the available spaces can be more equally allocated to users; 7.00-11:00am and 12:00-4:00pm were the slots mentioned to me at the park office at Tobermory.

but to expect the rest of the world to stay away because we old farts don't want them…

If you are ascribing such sentiments to me, you clearly don't know me very well.

Its not the influx of people that is the problem here; its the municipality's heavy handed and apparently greedy approach to dealing with it that is tantamount to shooting themselves in the foot.
You are likely correct in assuming that the business model comes from the provider of the equipment, but to those who are using it, its seen as a money grab and an inconvenience. Time will tell.

People are the same everywhere. Everyone wants a vacation once in a while, regardless of their origin or station.
They want to relax and have fun with their kids, without time limits and worries.
Last summer I had a very enjoyable interaction at the Community Centre with a large extended family of New Canadians in 3 or 4 cars, who were on the last leg of their vacation before heading back to the big city.
I gave a diving mask to 2 little boys, with the hope that I might inspire the next generation to explore the underwater world and maybe start their own tradition of visiting Tobermory and making good memories.
Had these limits been in place then, none of that would have happened.

Last edited:
Its not the influx of people that is the problem here; its the municipality's heavy handed and apparently greedy approach to dealing with it that is tantamount to shooting themselves in the foot.

Looks more to me like they are shooting the local business people in the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom