The End of Tobermory?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said before, it isn't the price (sure, we would like it for free, but not in this day and age), but the fact that it appears the system doesn't work (can't purchase enough time to cover duration of charter, or early enough for a morning charter) is what is really frustrating. My wife honestly suggested we purchase the $100 annual parking permit as a standard cost for the trip. I tend to agree if we can.....

FWIW - it cost something like $50 in tolls for just crossing Switzerland (IIRC) when the wife was there last summer...

No argument there.... It's been this way for years, and the 2 hour limit has always been enforced, BUT as the OP pointed out, there has always been free all day parking...

My guess is that the folks that sell the meters designs these schemes as a way to maximize payback to the municipality.

As I said earlier though, I suspect we haven't heard the end of this.

The municipality is on a "stupid roll" these days. They announced garbage pickup would begin this year (great) and then promptly removed all of the publicly accessible dumpsters around town.

The bears will love this approach... We just stuff ours in the little garbage cans around town under the cover of darkness.

Hi Stoo,
The original poster here....I posted as I was asked by the ladies at the community office to get the word out. They tell me that the local businesses (non diving) are already feeling the pinch. There was apparently a meeting today with the municipality and business reps to try to sort out the mess as all businesses feel at risk, especially the food services. How did I solve the problem? I bought a $100 parking pass rather than Pay $15.00 per day to park my truck and boat trailer in the dirt parking lot on Hay Bay Road... the only spot in town now that you can still park a boat trailer, if the tour buses haven't taken all the spaces. I'm up for a while so the pass is worth it to me. My worry is that the only lot that I can use has already been taken over by several "tour bus only" spaces that are blocked off by concrete barriers.... The tour boat operators will be fine...they own more parking spaces on their private lots (must have a tour company pass displayed to show you are on a tour or you will be towed) than the municipality does right now.
Cheers,
Blue Quaker

And the Florida toll roads without manned booths are so wonderful....
They are also taxing. See what I did there?

it isn't the price (sure, we would like it for free, but not in this day and age), but the fact that it appears the system doesn't work (can't purchase enough time to cover duration of charter, or early enough for a morning charter) is what is really frustrating.

This is the truth. Its annoying and frustrating at best. If you can't get a spot at all in the now one available (over 2 hour) lot and have a charter booked, you are screwed.
If you want to dash in to Peacock's for a loaf of bread or a bag of ice, you have to shell out 3 bucks or risk a 40 dollar ticket.
People go to Tobermory to get away from the hustle and bustle; to relax and enjoy a more leisurely pace. I've been diving there since 1972. There isn't much I haven't seen. I mainly go there for the ambience, which is much different now. If you are constantly minding your watch and your parking meter, you might as well stay in Toronto. Its just a hassle that a lot of people may choose to avoid. Time will tell.
I spoke to some boaters who have been launching there for 30 years. They may head out for the day to local islands, or overnight to Killarney and distant places. They can't do that now and were quite disappointed. They told me they have no reason to come back. There's launching, fuel, groceries, meals, beer, etc. that they won't be buying there anymore. I may not be a big spender, but a short visit and a half day charter saw me putting well over 200 bucks into the local economy. It all adds up.
At 8 AM I saw a uniformed Blue Heron employee park on Carlton St. in one of the very few spots, put an Employee sign on his dash, and go to work for the day. That doesn't help the situation. They have ample parking elsewhere.

Last edited:
At the NBP council meeting yesterday there was a delegation of business owners present to speak about the removal of paid parking (among other parking changes). Their suggestions seemed practical and well thought out - I hope that the council was listening. There were also about 10 written submissions from other business and individuals about parking (I didn't read). Here is a link - Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula - Document Center

I can certainly understand why the municipality would like to increase their revenue - the large amount of tourism can create a significant burden for a small community and the season for them to generate revenue is small. However, this change seems to be poorly thought out and is likely to do more harm then good.

I haven't been up to Tobermory yet this year but I did spend over 2 full weeks there last year diving (I spent a small fortune on accommodations, charters, restaurants, etc.). I was good with the 2-hour limits and free parking behind the Legion or at the municipal office and it all seemed to work very well. I will still come up and dive this year (it is some great diving) but I'm going to use the parking changes as an opportunity to explore other areas of the province this summer.

ps does anyone know if the library still has free parking? It is owned by the county and shouldn't be affected by any changes made by the municipality.

Today, in preparation for the Chi Chi Maun ferry 40th anniversary weekend, which includes amongst other events a 3 day baseball tournament in town complete with beer tent and food services, the local authority NBP workers arrived and erected metal 2 hour parking limit signs almost every 4th parking space in the village. This included all around Little Tub + the community parking lot spaces. It doesn't seem like 14 presentations by local businesses at the recent council meeting had much effect on Northern Bruce Peninsula Council. This weekend looks like it might be "fun".

If you can't get a spot at all in the now one available (over 2 hour) lot and have a charter booked, you are screwed.

I suspect that if you are heading out on a charter, you'll be one of the first ones in the lot.

People go to Tobermory to get away from the hustle and bustle; to relax and enjoy a more leisurely pace. I've been diving there since is972. There isn't much I haven't seen. I mainly go there for the ambience, which is much different now.

The reality is that Tobermory hasn't been a sleepy little fishing village for about 20 years. Weekends in July and August are insane, but to expect the rest of the world to stay away because we old farts don't want them, sounds a lot like second generation Italian immigrants complaining about new arrivals and declaring that "It's not fair... what's happening to our fifedome". Places like Tobermory and the Bruce are jewels and more and more people come to see the place. I have been "actually" threatened on two occasions on Facebook because I post tons of images about the area and they get widely shared. Demands were made that I stop attracting "those people" to the Bruce Peninsula. I presume those people were the busloads of Chinese tourists and the the constant stream of "brown" folks from Toronto. Welcome to Canada folks... we're a melting pot.

I spoke to some boaters who have been launching there for 30 years. They may head out for the day to local islands, or overnight to Killarney and distant places. They can't do that now and were quite disappointed. They told me they have no reason to come back.

Certainly multi-day parking is an issue. I suppose one approach is to stick a note on the windshield that says you'll be back on Wednesday and be prepared to pay the fine. Not ideal certainly, but in the overall scheme of things, it's not really that big of a deal. It might be worth finding out from the township what they suggest. I will likely go in and get my permit the week after next and I will try to remember to ask.

I was at a birthday shindig last night... the crowd was made up of Tob business people, long-time seasonal residents like me, locals... NOBODY likes this. I still believe that the parameters were laid out by the company to maximise ROI for the township. I suggest sending a message to the township and voice your concerns.

I should mention as well, that some businesses that have lots of their own are being "forced" to add meters to their private lots. Non customers were abandoning their cars in their parking lots.

Last edited:
Clearly you haven't seen the yard at my beloved Squaller Holler. My idea of weed control is doing 6 point turns with a 5000# RHIB on a trailer in the back yard... Keeps those dandelions beaten into submission...

And here I thought you had 2 BIG dogs, who you give lots of water to, to control the weeds and not have to cut the grass...

Compared to Toronto, $15 per day to park is a bargain.

The all day parking behind the legion was pretty well empty when I was there for the May 24 weekend. However, there automated parking didn't work before 9am and the charter left at 8am, so I got to park there for free. :)

And here I thought you had 2 BIG dogs, who you give lots of water to, to control the weeds and not have to cut the grass...
The all day parking behind the legion was pretty well empty when I was there for the May 24 weekend. However, there automated parking didn't work before 9am and the charter left at 8am, so I got to park there for free. :)

Ya the two big dogs are there to keep the riff-raff away, but as you well know, they fail miserably. The most riffiest and raffiest seem to be their best pals...

I believe what you say about the early-bird getting the free parking may be a short-term/probably gone-by-now benefit. I think some of the meters have been tweaked to allow for this...

And you do know a guy with a house about 127 steps from the dock after-all...

Back
Top Bottom